Sheelite specimens

Hi all
One of my kids wants to hunt out a sheelite specimen from around Glenorchy way. If anyone had any useful advice on where to look i’d appreciate a p message. Cheers

I remember as a young lad going with my dad up a track up the mcdougalls creek area. when up to the then abandoned invincible mine. this was in the 60s. (yea I know that’s long time ago). very interesting things laying round , slept in an old hut and it had bags of sheelite stack up the walls . had rats run over us all night. never got any goats.

1 Like

hi there its in the main Rees river up near the park boundary , ive also panned it in the 25 mile creek , id imagine it spread right along that face , theres old scheelite mining history up near Bucklerburn as well . good luck

2 Likes

You were the goat. LOL :joy: :rofl:

Sorry Keith, couldn’t help myself on that one.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

pretty young goat in those days . you would almost call me a kid. now just an old goat

Try buckler burn, remember helping a m8 on a dredge there many a year ago, and scheelite was the heavies there, quite odd when u were used to black sand. Scheelite glows under a black light to so at night with a blacklight might be productive.

1 Like

Black light…is that like a torch with flat batteries? :joy: :rofl:

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Black light is the fluorescent light that you used to see in entertainment places where they had a blackened out room with psychedelic posters with fluorescent paint that glowed in the dark. The actual light glows blue - dont look directly at it. They were also used in the Post Offices when l was a kiddie sprog and the person behind the desk could check postmarks with it.

Its a UV light. Blue in colour. I have a UV torch that I use at night to check out the quartz in the creek for Scheelite on my gold claim

1 Like

Yup, I believe so , just testt it out

How did you go? I haven’t found anything yet

Im on a FB page called ‘The Best Hut Ever Built’ they recently had some pics of old Sheelite Miners Huts called McIntosh Huts, Whakaari. Doc have partially restored them. They are up high so I guess one would need to be a keen tramper.