Sandflies/mosquitoes mitigation

More likely now called a sandfry. :joy:

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

That cant be good for you. :flushed:

Probably not but the nzfs deer cullers then the veno hunters done kero daily to keep them away.

gotta die somehow lol may aswell know what caused it. btw deet is fucking nasty stuff and folk spray that shit on heavy.

Bushmans. Doesn’t come off when in the water. In fact it an be a struggle getting it off at all. Strong as so ya prob wouldn’t want to use it daily.

1 Like

Best answer is what Mathias said. No chemicals or poisons involved. Sometimes the most common sense things are totally overlooked. Protects you from the sun’s harmful rays too & no sunscreen needed either.

Deet is great, but keep all pthalate containing preparations well away from PVC plastic, which absorbs them, goes opaque and turns all rubbery. Plastic watch straps, cheap sandshoes and all manner of how sold goods turned to a sticky mess.

Yer…so imagine what it is doing to your body/skin. Can’t be good for you. Get it on your nob, having a piss, & you will know all about it. Fuck the repellent. Best answer is to just cover up. In the hotter summer months with light weight long sleeve shirt & trousers. Lightweight nylon trousers are good in the water when sluice boxing. They dry out pretty quick & your legs are covered. Even wear mesh headgear. You may think you look like a dork, maybe you already are :laughing: but you will be comfy as & no West Coast wave to continually flag the critters away from your face. Both hands on the mining. Maybe one on a beer every now & then. :+1:

3 Likes

The best I’ve found is bushman personal insect repellent. Used it at the lyell and on the west coast and never got bitten. Only applied twice I a day

1 Like

ive heard that eating something with garlic in it the night before works. i know ive used it and never been attacked by vampires or werewolves so there may be some truth in it.

2 Likes

Yep that’s the brew even worked in Venice.
Caz

Hi all, I’ve been using this stuff for years.

DEET free. natural ingredients, soothes any bites you already have and you won’t smell like a dirty old tractor. You can actually watch the sandflys get within an inch of your skin, turn around and bugger off.

They sting you on the shipping though (pun intended) but one tube will last you a few years and last time I chipped in with friends and bought 5 tubes for about $20/tube including postage. It’s amazing stuff.

It also smells really nice so the ladies will love you.

Tim

Get onto the gold then you wont notice them! It would have to be good gold though lol

1 Like

We normally wear waders and often just a standard raincoat when mining whenever and that keeps the sandflys away well enhough but if they are getting really really bad, we then put on our gloves and tape them togther with our sleeves so our arms are completley protected, put a beanie or a hood on etc and really just cover as much of the skin as possible with gear we have on us (the gear said before and things like snorkling masks etc and taping sleeves to the skin etc so they cant get up your sleeves etc) and that makes us nearly completley sandfly immune.

Although it is a heck of a lot easier to use a lot of the products and chemicals etc as stated before.

Cheers

Bushman’s is great, though strong. The spray on one is easier on skin than the ointment. Dettol and baby oil work well, but need to apply more often, great for the skin, just mix to a creamy consistency. Or bang on a wetsuit and gloves and get your head under the water, works for me.

2 Likes