Rock identification please?

I’ve come accross a few of these rough looking rocks over the years all within an area about a hectare. I’ve always been intrigued as to what they might be so any help with identification would be great. There are also small lumps of what looks like maybe sarsen stone in the area aswell (photo 3). Location is Central Otago. The rocks are certainally heavy compared to a similar sized piece of schist but give off no signal on a detector.

I’m happy to be corrected but it’s probably limonite?

1 Like

Possible Galena? It’ll be heavy because it could contain the raw material of lead.
If you break a rock open with a hammer, it should reveal streaks of a shiny metal appearance, similar to tinfoil. For some reason metal detectors don’t react to to it.

1 Like

Your curiosity about those rough rocks is understandable! I remember stumbling upon unfamiliar rocks during a hike and feeling the urge to identify them. Exploring different types of rocks for tumbling (https://rockstumbling.com/types-of-rocks-for-tumbling) helped me understand the diversity of stones out there. Maybe your rocks have a fascinating story to tell, just waiting to be uncovered.

1 Like