Paydirt Home Locations Permit Map Equipment & Services Gold Price Old Forum Archive Donate Search

Public fossicking area Goldsborough (Shamrock Creek)

Please feel free to contribute to this tread,any information you would like to share on the public fossicking area. approx. 15km north of hokitika. turn off main rd on to Stafford loop rd and 5km up the road. Information may include-vehicle access and parking,track locations,hazards,camping facilities,toilets,accommodation,access and/or local info contact numbers,boundary locations,how bad the sand flies are and last but not least any general locations for finding a little gold.(Or a lot who knows!)

easy access and good tracks. camping ground with basic facilities. toilets and cold running water only. and a small fee per night. dogs allowed if on leash. sandflies are maneaters so go prepared

3 Likes

Spent many a weekend here great camping spot toilet facilities are great running water boil before drinking I have found gold in about 80% of my pans, out in front of the camp ground dig deep good gold . Or head up river to the tunnel good gold I normally get a few grams running the sluice for the day. Can get very busy over summer holidays but it’s cool it’s like a mini gold rush

3 Likes

Yep, spent a fair bit of time here too. Found some pinky-fingernail flat nugget here on the edge too, quite rusty margins.
A fun place to hang out…but you’l need to prepare for the mozzies. (50% brown dettol and 50% olive oil worked best to keep em away)

4 Likes

Thanks for the great intell guys…never been here myself…on my bucket n pan list now though.
Here is the permit map for Shamrock Creek (Goldsborough)

Anyone else know this area?

Got into shamrock creek yesterday for a fossick with the sluice.
Nice fine gold in all spots I had a play…lots of clay to deal with.
Camping area looks nice.

1 Like

I went a while back but got bugga all. only panned though but there was 2 of us.

I liked this place the most of the places I tried this week. Nice, coarse magnetite sands and ironstone pebbles to tell you that you’re looking in the right place. Sand flies were there, but choose the right place and they were no bother.

1 Like