Paydirt Home Locations Permit Map Equipment & Services Gold Price Old Forum Archive Donate Search

Public Fossicking Area Collaroration (Waiho River)

Please feel free to contribute to this tread,any information you would like to share on the public fossicking area (Waiho River)Franz Josef National Park… Information may include-vehicle access and parking,track locations,hazards,camping facilities,toilets,accommodation,access and/or local info contact numbers,boundary locations,how bad the sand flies are and last but not least any general locations for finding a little gold.(Or a lot who knows!)

<

Dont forget to upload any good photos or Youtube links too!!

The more of us who contribute the better so don’t be shy.

This could be an excellent resource for us Paydirt gold seekers!!

2 Likes

Tried this area once,ended up raining cats and dogs,river flash flood!!
Camping at Franz Josef,beautiful area!!
Anyone prospected this area?

1 Like

I brought a small pan, hand digger, and “snuffer” bottle with me on holiday. After crossing the one lane bridge from Franz Josef, I turned left on the glacier road, and drove up as far as I could in the gravel just left of the bike trail. I did four test pans along the river bank, and found black sand but no color. The sand flies let their presence be known as soon as I sat down with the first pan, so they are an issue. If I had my largest pan, and perhaps my sluice, I might had found something. But just like at home in my local river, sometimes its hit or miss.

Thanks for checking this one out for us TJ,looks like it confirms our suspicions of lots of gravels and not very much sign of gold,guess you never know until you try so big up’s mate:yum:

best sandfly repellant is brown dettol and olive oil in a 50:50 mix. shake before use and keep out of your eyes. My cobbers used to buy the commercial products and have given up and rely on me to bring this brew which works a treat…

2 Likes