Panning after floods

G’day, long time between posts, lifes been hectic!
So since my last post, have relocated to South Cantab, our property has 2 creeks, one running through it and one on our boundary. With the heavy rains of late a huge amount of material has been has been moved within the creeks and I’m wondering if any of you have some tips as to where would be a likely spot to test pan, have some areas of newly deposited river stone and also some areas where fine silt/sand has been deposited, generally these are on the inside of corners, thanks in advance for any guidance and wisdom you can share.:+1:t2::+1:t2:
NOTE: I’ve not panned either creek, this is all virgin territory to me

1 Like

Did you say Wallabies! I like shooting them! If you are in North Branch Waihao River then theres a good chance to get some gold on bedrock which has been swept clean. In the crevices.
For that you need a Gold Monster metal detector or in warmer weather a glass bottom box is good and a scratcher.
Inside bends are good spots for panning but in crevices I have found that theres no hard and fast rules.

2 Likes

A MD is on the future buy list but for now my prospecting is limited to the gear I have, which includes a sucker for crevices :+1:t2: I’m out there tomorrow and have a couple of what my inexperienced eyes say might be likely spots :man_shrugging:t2::rofl:

As for the bloody wallabys, once my FAL has been approved they’re gonna get nailed, wreaking havoc on future wifeys fruit trees :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I spend some time in August 1972 with the Wallaby Board and we shot 78 in one day. Love hunting wallabies and hope to do it again.
As for gold the glass bottom box and a scratcher and snifter to pick up the gold is a good way to do it. Get a drag hoe to pull gravel back from crevices. If there is good colour in the actual gravel then a sluice box is ideal.

1 Like

Well we’ve more than enough, Ecan have an erradication program in place, the buggers are well outside the containment zone but it’ll be many years before the population as a whole is even under control. Glass bottom box would be hard work, creeks generally only about a foot deep, I’d be bent double…so maybe a glass bottomed piece of drainpipe :thinking: I’ve an assortment of hand tools for shifting material and a sluice :+1:t2:

Glass bottom drain pipe is possible and l have a short one but they seem to interfere with your vision - or maybe its my eyes. In any case I find them hard to use. I also used to put knee pads on and kneel in the river. Come to think of it I still do sometimes.
This year hope to be back to skin diving suit.

1 Like

Wallabies are incredibly good eating.
We used to hunt them before Tey got eradicated. Brown the hind quarters and tail stub then casserole.
Skins make really nice hard wearing floor rugs too.

oh don’t you worry, we’ll be utilising as much of the carcases as we can :+1:t2::grin:

1 Like

I have shot thousands if Wallabies over the years. They are nice skins…these ones as good as the day they were tanned back in the early 1970s.

2 Likes