Nox 800 tips and advice

Hi all…I bought a 800 just before we went into lockdown…the only thing I have been able to do is play in my backyard…the question I have is does anyone have any ideas, tips or any advice on how I should learn this machine :thinking:…I find it a interesting machine and am looking forward to been able to get out and about but am finding it very difficult to operate even in my backyard…I have some little bits of gold to play with :smirk:…one part I really like is the reset button :heart_eyes:…cheers

Hi Jasepi,67
Jump on you tube. Type in Minelab Equinox 800 and take in as much as you can. There heaps there.
HH

1 Like

2nd the above, make sure you have the NOx next to you so you can figure out what they are talking about, a good tutorial series about it on YouTube as well,plenty of time to do it in,
tell me what do your gold pieces number up on the VDI as in gold mode just a air test.

1 Like

Hi tomdaniel…i think i have watched every item i can find on youtube for this machine…i really liked the tutorial series as it was very informative…the gold i have at the moment is quite small …the part im having trouble with is to achieve a stable machine …practice will achieve results im positive…i had a sd2000 for a few years which took a while to understand …untill the lockdown is over and am able to get back in the field im just using this time to try and figure this machine out…my gb2 i found very simple compared to this …cheers

Read the manual. Read it again & again. If all else fails…read it yet again. Practise makes almost perfect. Some things you just have to learn at your own learning curve & out in the field using it. There wont be much if anything people can tell you on the forum that you wont see on youtube or from the manual. Comes down to you at the end of the day & coming to grips with it. Do you have the 6" coil for it? Turn your cell phone off if you have it on you while trying to use it. That can/will interfere with it.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Hi…no i only have the 11 at the moment…am going to get 6 after lockdown…i realize practice ,practice ,practice…im just getting bored and frustrated like everybody and thought maybe a couple of tricks out there…thanks all anyway

1 Like

After reading the manual maybe check out the articles that Steve Herschbach has written on the Equinox - they helped me a lot, and might give you a few ideas about settings to play with.

Also check out Steve H’s forum:

It has a heap of info on the Equinox, lots of questions have been asked and answered.
I run mine in ‘Park 2’ almost full time. For coins and for nugget hunting. With the 6" coil on and the sensitivity cranked up a bit, it’s still pretty sensitive to small gold. (To some this might be blasphemy, but I can’t be bothered with the 0.0x gram pieces) And I don’t need to listen to the threshold all day :sunglasses:

Have fun! :100:

2 Likes

I would echo what the other guys have said too. Make sure you do a noise cancel, I had another chap turn up at the beach with a minelab go find and it made my nox and his go find warble like birds at each other from 20m away! Noise cancel fixed it amazingly. Just showed how sensitive they are to other electronics, also definitely keep your mobile off as it can do the same, seems worse in low signal areas. Other than that just go on default mode of choice and turn the sensitivity up or down to suit, I find 50 tones makes more sense than 5 tones. Once you get the hang of it you can fiddle with it but it will work fine straight out of the box. Plenty of time ahead for swinging in the garden! Good luck.

2 Likes

Ha ha. You will even find my Nox 800 gold finds on Steves site. Detector Prospector Forum. As that is where I mostly hang out these days. Have done for quite a few years now.

Good luck when you can get back out there.

1 Like

Hi…thanks to all…on Steve’s page I’m finding exactly what I wanted…plenty of time for reading and practice…wasn’t aware of this site so is appreciated…:+1:…looking forward to getting back out am just going to be way behind at work but will find a way to squeeze some time in

1 Like

I don’t feel so bad now I have read your article! I also purchased a Nox 800 not so long ago and I admit I don’t really understand all the settings but I find it works ok anyway. I haven’t found any gold as yet but sure found lots of other items around the old gold workings on my claim. Some coins, dozens of bullet cases, old nails, bits of old metal that I don’t know what they are and recently 2 parts of an old miners leather boot that had metal eyelets for the laces. I have read just about everything there is to read but I decided to just learn 1 or 2 things at a time. I usually just leave it on the gold setting and that seems to find most things. Cheers

1 Like

Hi Les. The discrimination side of the Nox is the head spinner if one isn’t familiar with that which is mostly for the coin & relic hunters. Gold guys it isn’t so important or needed. I always detect in all metal mode & dig everything anyway. That is just the nature of gold detecting as gold in nature is never of the same purity, which fucks around with accurate discrimination any way & why I don’t rely on it chasing gold. It always pays to get rid of junk as it can & does mask a gold signal, so hence digging all the crap & getting rid of it. It is doing the environment a favour too. Although you can’t tell people from DOC that as they just get me to throw it back on the ground, the crap I dont tell or show them the gold, & to piss off & do my thing elsewhere. :roll_eyes:

Good luck out there…whe you can get back out there.

2 Likes