North Island Gold?

Hi there, Is it possible to find gold in the North Island Near Hamilton? I have a location that I scouted out, and I actually went up and panned there for about 4 hours, I ended up with about 6 or 7 little flakes of what I think is gold, but as an amateur, I would love help… Here are some pictures of the “FLAKES” and the location I was planning…

6 Likes

Hi Ben to be honest wouldn’t have a clue try and get a gold test kit if it’s real send me the GPS😎

Hi Ben. Looks lke a great spot to spend some time. The “flakes” look very similar to some of the pyrite we were getting out Thames way when we started out. I hope its not but I’ve never heard of any gold around Hamilton. Fun regardless having a pan in the hand. The closer you move out towards the east coast the better your chances will get. We find its more fun now to fly down to the Sth Island and hammer it down there. Plenty of public spots too. Once you’ve found colour you’re hooked.

ALLEGED DISCOVERY OF AN EXTENSIVE ALLUVIAL GOLD-FIELD AT THE WAIKATO. Wanganui Herald, Volume IV, Issue 1297, 11 December 1871

A very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. Well if the flakes in the pan are gold then one of the photos certainly indicate the type of bedrocks and cracks/crevices where one might find it IF it’s there at all.
As for the photographs - no one could make an honest, positive or even an intelligent guess from them.

keep very quiet about this location, otherwise you could inadvertently start a gold rush

Yep. Definitely don’t tell anyone the GPS (Chris will put in a claim on that beautiful little creek of yours!) :grin:

1 Like

We’ve been told our quarry up the road from the hospital contains silver a couple of years ago we did a blast and found some fool’s Gold but work safe came in and said that there was to much overburden so we shut that area down …till last month

I might drop a bit of testing solution on a flake, do you know if that would be an accurate test?

Have heard tell of gold in Wellington region, might not be much gold to paydirt though… has anyone else heard tell of the yellow stuff in WLG?