Newbie...wetsuit?

So, brand new to this gold thing but have to say I’ve definitely got the fever! Over the next 12 months I’m aiming to (hopefully) pan enough gold for the wedding rings I’ll be needing for myself and future wifey. I’m not so far from the Louise and New Creek fossicking area’s and plan to be in there regularly over the next 12 months or so. Having done a bit of research both within this group and me good mate Marty, I’ve ordered a pro gold panning kit and EZY sluice, the other “hardware” I’ve already got.

Anyway, enough blather, onto my question. Seems to me that I’ll be spending a lot of time IN the creek and I’m thinking a secondhand wetsuit could be the go for keeping me warm, well at least my legs, if I have to buy a full wetsuit am thinking I’ll reduce it to leggings only. What do you lot reckon? It’s quite a hike into my chosen spots which I reccied yesterday so I’m thinking some tramping boots will be suitable to get me in, do the mahi and then get me out again, any wisdom and tips on this would be well appreciated.
Cheers
Pete

2 Likes

Id go with some chest waders if you’re not planning on going under water for sniping. Will get really hot in summer though, i just wear wading socks but ya still get wet but youll have warm feet atleast

1 Like

I think chest waders would be a mare, it’s a goat scramble to get to where I’ll be panning and my “lightweight” pack is gonna be enough weight as it is (having left enough in reserve for the huge amount of gold I’ll unearth!) lol

1 Like

Sounds like boots and shorts country mate id just get some simms wading socks from hunting and fishing and wear long johns under your shorts

2 Likes

Hi , speaking from experience using a wet suit when you want to have a pee, it is bit of a task to get wet suit down, if you pee in the suit like you would in the sea, the wet suit does not self wash. So in saying that I use 2 pair of sport skins and that seems to work, with a 2 mm wet suit jacket, then you are completely covered from the man eating sand flies
Hope this helps
Cheers
Pete

2 Likes

Hmmm, wading socks, that sounds like a plan, will have to go check them out, do they fit inside your normal size boot or do you need to go up a size?

That suggestion is not without merit BUT is a wetsuit jacket not hellishly hot in summer?

New Creek tip for you mate - I always did ok, back in the day when I was starting out, on top of the clay layers. In the banks there seemed to be clay layers and scooping the tops of these seemed to be the trick there for panning and seeing some decent colour. Otherwise a lot of digging.

Walk in with whatever is comfy and carry your wet footwear. I’d go waders or just long gumboots just for New Creek and for Louis. They are not worth a wetsuit. But I’d be wary on a serious river with waders, might be me, but I’d be worried about safety if they filled with water.

There are different types of wetsuits, some have tops and bottoms, and others single piece. They come with relief zips depending on the brand and model :sunglasses: a lot of choice.

Cheers for all the tips guys, so my first trip out was a great learning experience! :rofl:
I didn’t find any gold but picked up a lot of pointers from the GC’s that were up Louis Creek.
What worked for me was skins, wading socks with long gaiters over and boots. Didn’t get cold, good mobility and importantly easy walk in without carrying extra clobber :+1:

Yep, I did a lot of digging, :rofl: cheers for the pointer, aiming to get back there for a weeks worth and I’ve got my eye on a few spots :+1:

1 Like