Newbie question

Hi everyone, i’m new to this community and have a question. We bought my father a MD-3010ii for his 70th birthday,he had a stroke a few years ago so not so nimble on his feet for the soft sand beach so was hoping for some tips as to where to swing his coil. I was thinking around old district halls and reserves etc but i think he’s worried about getting in trouble. any ideas?
T.I.A
Simon

You are best to get in contact with local council as to any local by laws that would stop you. You could approach local school for permission. As long as you dig tidy plugs most places don’t mind. Historical sites and DOC land off limits. All the best HH&GL

Sweet thanks.we’re in the south waikato and there are a few old halls in the district where they used to have dances back in my dads day so there could be some nice old coins etc around the buildings.

1 Like

Research is your best tool, look up some local history for fair’s, saleyards etc and find out who would be able to give you permission.:+1:

Find where old racecourses were and even current ones and ask the caretakers permission - behind totes which are still grass can be a gold mine and also along the fences around the track and in the area of grandstands.

Old A & P show grounds can also be great places. Where refreshment tents used to be pitched and around the fences of the arenas.

Historic picnic grounds can be great places.

Old hotel sites can be money spinners as well. I know someone who got two half sovereigns at an old hotel site.

Do some research of your locality and it might be amazing what you can come up with.

Good luck!

hi simon 71 where in the south waikato do you live.as i live in
tokoroa perhaps we can have a play together

Cool thanks, yes research is the key

Great ideas thanks,thinking of taking dad over to Te Aroha where he grew up and finding out where all the fairs and gatherings used to take place (not the domain though)

Hi we are in Matamata,will do a few missions on our own until we feel confident about not looking like muppets ha

The Domain and hotsprings at Te Aroha are protected historical sites so you are correct no digging there nowadays unfortunately.
If you check out old te aroha newspapers theres lots of clues for other spots to detect.
According to some guys on Facebuk I think you need may need to get a permission letter from the Thames coromandel council nowadays to detect in the area

back again, heres another silly question. How deep can we put dads MD-3010ii in the water? just the coil or up the shaft a little ways. went to rarotonga last month with a PI-iking 750 found a few coins (mainly nz) and a rusty old pocket knife. T.i.a

You should be able to go shaft deep in water. Used to take my garrett 300i in water to about 2 inches or so from control box. Use to attach a bungee to it so it didn’t fall in. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Reminds me of the time I was detecting years ago on our claim and the water was so clear that it looked shallow so in I go with the detector and being one of those ADHD types plunge the detector into the water in my errant enthusiasm - right over the control box! I LOVE that ‘FUCK’ word - it saves me smashing something in a fit of pissed off anger at my own stupidity!
My indiscriminate use of the FUCK word proves conclusively that Ducks are actually very intelligent birds and can be trained to talk like Cockatoos - next time you hear ducks go overhead listen carefully - notice how they go Farrrkkkk Farrkk farkk fark fark - they got that from me!

5 Likes

First time I found a half crown in the river I was so keen to get it out of scoop I let the detector go… worked for 30 minutes after, pulled it apart dried it out still worked good as gold.

1 Like

Poor wording in that question SImon - ‘How deep can we put dads MD-3010ii in the water?’ - How deep is the water - if the waters 20 foot deep then thats how far deep the detector can go…but do you mean how far can it go and still go beep beep!
Today nearly all the detectors can go more or less nearly up to the control box and as long as you dont get it wet then all good. I do not know if ALL coils are water proof though and that is something that you need to determine form the manufacturers manual.
As a precaution I now seal the coil and its joins and where the wire goes in and the mounting with silicone. I damaged two ‘waterproof’ coils in the long distant past.
Some old detectors it would not pay to put the shaft into the water because if you took it out and held the shaft above the control box as on a Whites 6000 or a Garrett Deepseeker which we still have then the water could drain back into the control box and then it is good night nurse. Back in the 1980s or ealy 90s I fell in the river and my Garrepp Deepseeker went for a swimming lesson - turn them off right away remove the batteries and dont use again until it is well and truly dry.

Thanks for the advice and the grammar lesson, i’ll start off pretty shallow and go from there.