New to panning and detecting

hey all , im so new to this , my post will reflect it
I am wanting to do some gold panning ( to teach myself by doing ) -there are only so many videos you can watch .
I did pay and go spend a day with a guy from the Collingwood area and was a great intro and learning for me
I would like to do some practising and camping away from the main areas and hoping someone with a claim would allow me to do this, happy to pay
I met two cool guys on their claim on the West Coast when 4WD and they sparked my interest but I can not recall their names and their You tube channel is gone ,very nice people . so it’s their fault im wanting to do this
have a few days holidays that my partner and I want to pack the tent up and go play - is there anyone who be willing to do this or is it s ridiculous ask

3 Likes

I recommend hitting a public spot always good helpful people on hand who are more than happy to chat and point you in the right direction

2 Likes

thanks but im one of those weird people who hate doing things in front of others, id much prefer to be in the bush with a river on my own , or at least with my partner only

1 Like

You don’t have to do it in front of other people. In a public area you can wander off & do your own thing in total privacy. Public areas are places you can go to at any time & with no legal difficulties or costs as far as being allowed to do your thing looking for gold. The only cost might be paying a DOC camp ground fee.
If you are a total newbie without a clue as to what you are doing then a public area & help from others is priceless & will speed up your learning curve no end. We all started some where. Don’t be too proud to mingle with others that are mostly only too happy to help & give advise. It is free. You might even make some life long friends. Gold in its self.
Good luck otherwise.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

true true - now im sounding precious :slight_smile: thanks
making a plan to hit the public areas

2 Likes

Cool. You won’t be sorry.

I spend a lot of time in public areas and I never see anyone, probably a few times a year you may see the odd walker or other fossicker but usually your out there by yourself.

2 Likes

I was starting to think that you was planning to start a new trend of nude gold finding! :grinning:

2 Likes

Kind of agree with you there Gav. Although Xmas holiday period & long weekend public holidays sees a lot more activity.

:rofl: :joy: Was thinking the same but more depending what gender his partner was. Although these days that might not matter. Get my drift? :laughing:

hmm id say the West Coast would be a little cold for that :slight_smile: haha

im a she not a he :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about your partner? Either way, it still may not matter. It is a pretty open world out there these days.

Depends how hot you get. Summer is a coming… Doesn’t matter that you are a she. Lammerlaw can tell a wee tale about what he saw on a foray up Deep Creek that flows into the Shotover. That could have ended with a coming too. :joy:

Nothing wrong with nude gold mining providing you have a camel toe companion.

1 Like

haha im female :slight_smile: lol , am I in the right group! haha

You are in the right group, but this conversation has now gotten a little off track…

1 Like

Of course you are…some females like females.
I can just envisage a bevy of naked females swinging metal detectors around and…as Hugh Heffner, whos dead at the moment said, “Thank god for the blue pill.” Not that it has anything to do with gold mining but it could have a lot to do with fossicking.
At the end of the day everything would pan out just fine - excuse the pun.
Dammit l hate being past the use by date.

2 Likes

4 Likes

id say just got out and practice a few hundred metres away from a DOC campsite
I got some gold at slab huts always a good one.
however then I dropped it so I came back with nothing
Its amazing watching the river come up double in size overnight … someone a local told me to metal detect a whole mud bank newly exposed wasted 30 mins, but it was fun seeing nature and a mud face up close… any questions just message me