New member looking for advice - Queenstown

Hi guys. I’m totally new to fossicking. I’m in Queenstown for a couple of days. I’m aware of the public sites. How would you rank them in terms of strike rate etc?
TIA.

2 Likes

Apparently Three strikes and your out but if your a good wee fellow then you have nothing to worry about.

4 Likes

Hi Dwills , welcome to the paydirt community, don’t mind lammerlaw his always coming up with a smart arse comment or 2 . Consider it a right of passage. …lol!
Yes there are good public fossicking areas in queenstown . my personal favourite is the arrow river, head around the bend (like lammerlaw) and you should see the other prospectors have worked the bedrock, still plenty of gold to be found,ask a fellow digger as most are pretty helpful up that way and easy access too .good luck.

4 Likes

Thanks for the sensible reply Mal. There are always the odd person on forums that can’t seem to help themselves and post crap reply’s. I just ignore them.

1 Like

Due to the fact that I know absolutely nothing about gold fossicking the only replies I can give are mostly crap - makes my boring home bound days less boring1

A wee birdie said that if fine gold make you happy and gets you dribbling then go to the Arrow but if you want the chance to find a decent nugget then go well up the 12 mile and be prepared to move some rocks - not that I would know.

3 Likes

Yeah no worries Dwills… Lammerlaw is actually a good bugger and knows more about ,and has found more gold in NZ than I will in several lifetimes… unfortunately he is getting on a bit , but one of the few things still working on his body is his very warped sense of humour…lol… 12 mile by the doc camping site is also worth a go. I got good fine gold right next to the campsite by the river but also heard further upstream can be good on bedrock… good luck!

2 Likes