Mudwiggling through 2019

Was the shilling up close to the seawall? Never seen one crusted like that

@chris Think so. Didn’t get too many targets where we were chatting at the edge, but the machine was playing some pretty tunes by the Pohutukawa when you were heading back towards me.
That first spot where I met you, there was a lot of ironsand coming through further down, so possible it came out of the depths there.
Going to take it into work tomorrow to see if it is silver or a fake (Which would be even more cool)

1 Like

A mighty fine collection of " stuff " there Mudwiggle. Looks like you would have had to put the effort in. Welldone !!

Going to start a petition to rotate NZ by 90° clockwise so these damn SouWesterlies actually do something useful to the beaches… All that potential going to waste when it could be stripping sand !

I hope you are going to buy the oxen to pull it.
You need to visit my locale, between southerlies SW’sters and once in 150 year bulldozer works, I’m having a great time.

1 Like

On a ring hunt job today - the 5 year old that lost it was obviously smarter than I (not too difficult) so ended up cruising the coast for potential.
Hit one spot that looked promising and which gave up 2/3 of a thin ring set which came out bright and clean, too delicate for stamps but I smell bling. Will X-Ray the hell out of it tomorrow - could be lucky and have gold and ice.
Moved on to another favourite site when in this area and popped a bun-head 1886 Vicky halfpenny., silver 6d (1943) and a lead bag seal before things went quiet.
Usual copper and lead bycatch.

MW

6 Likes

And the rings, as suspected, are purest bling.
Victoria improved with a bit of a makeover though

5 Likes

Very nice, the Vic looks like it cleaned up very well.

Got one for your collection

have come to hate bling,nice finds

Spotted a nice target and under an hours drive away. The track meandered for a km over a saddle to the secret beach (Why do DOC always take their paths over the highest bit they can find?)

With calves still burning from the climb, switched on and set to it with lots of lead coming up off the bedrock under the sand. Luvverly.

15min later the dreaded Excalibur Squawk! It was then I got the mental image of the freshly charged pod sitting on the trailer where I put it after Mrs. Wiggle called out for me to do something before I went.

Endured it for another 15 minutes by progressively winding the threshold back before frustration won.

Walked back over the mini-Everest muttering all the way.

Got $3 in goldies and a dozen or so white sinkers, so will be heading back on tonights low before the sand shifts too much. No space junk and the proliferation of lead suggests odds are in my favour for the Yellow.

…Not looking forward to that climb again though.

4 Likes

Revisited the beach the other night, just more lead… Obviously Fishos have more stamina than sunbathers!

Was down in Auckland on a course at the start of the week, managed to get an hour in with WestieDigger at an upper harbour spot, very little trash which surprised me, but also no targets of interest. Managed to drag a silver 6d out of the muck, but that was it.
Headed out this morning to see if the wind and rain had done anything, 80km away I found a beach which had been good to me a few years back, although is normally under a decent overburden. The current had moved some sand and there were my telltale rocks exposed so leapt out into the rain and spent an hour before the tide chased me out. Lotsa lead and assorted fishing kit, finds of the day were a nice 1876 penny from off the clay substrate and a silver ring - “Bond” manufacturer. Happy with that.

7 Likes

The ring is a great find…great going.

Nice work, good write up as always

Good score on the penny… Thinking about coming up on Sunday morning for a hunt not sure where yet… Working out the 80km radius from Yr place so no where not to go🤔

that a h under the date there mudwiggle of that penny,good hunt. bit more desirable being a heaton mint coin.

1 Like

Pity the penny was not a one year older 1875 Ralph Heaton and Sons Mint (they were in Birmingham) and in EF condition because had it been so then it would have been ‘worth a mint’ Nice coin though and the Heaton mint ones are scarcer and worth keeping. I am not certain but they may have only minted for five years - 1874, 1875, 1876 and then again in 1881 and 1882.
Over the years I have found a few H mint ones - they are not all that scarce except 1875, their scarcity being the fact that compared with other pennies they were only minted for a short period of time.
I am off to see if I have found and kept any 'H’mint ones!

Half hour later - I just looked through what I think may be all the ‘treasure coins’ I still have, or can find and I appear to have found only one ‘H’ mint one - also an 1876 one, same year as Mudwiggle’s. I also found that my oldest coins I seem to still have which I have found while treasure hunting with my Garrett Deepseeker in the 1980s were a 1799 ‘something’ and an 1826 George IV penny plus a 1757 George II sixpence which was probably lost by a whaler at Waikouaiti in the 1830s…maybe! Also another unknown year George II copper.

4 Likes

1757 that’s pretty awesome for NZ would be interesting to no what’s the oldest coin found here…

@chris There’s some Roman coins found, but I doubt they were dropped by Biggus Dickus.

My oldest (1778) came from that location we were talking about recently.

1 Like

Should have taken your advice left here 5am went to butt beach all for 3 sinkers and they were tied together went over the other side one button and a ships nail :pensive:… Still I made $50 finding nails in a couple of trees a guy was cutting down normally I don’t charge a cent but he was a Frenchie and I haven’t forgotten the rainbow warrior :sunglasses:

6 Likes