Mining legislation

Hello prospectors,
These two bills are worth watching, both are at the first reading.

Proposed section 40a: “If protected wildlife, as defined in section 2(1) of the Conservation Act 1987, is found on the land specified in a prospecting permit, an exploration permit, or a mining permit, that permit must be surrendered.

That one might not be so relevant, I don’t know if beach sand miners would be considered “seabed mining”?

2 Likes

Any idea what wildlife “protected wildlife, as defined in section 2(1) of the Conservation Act 1987” covers? Is there some sort of list somewhere?

I’ll have to dig into the legislation myself when I get a chance to see what it covers. I imagine Whio Ducks will be in there.

1 Like

protected wildlife means—

(a)

any animal for the time being absolutely protected pursuant to section 3 of the Wildlife Act 1953:

(b)

any animal for the time being partially protected pursuant to section 5 of the Wildlife Act 1953, other than such an animal in circumstances in which that animal may be hunted or killed under the authority of subsection (2) of that section:

(c)

any animal that is a marine mammal within the meaning of the Marine Mammals Protection Act 1978

Part 1
Protection of Wildlife to be protected

Subject to the provisions of this Act, all wildlife is hereby declared to be subject to this Act and (except in the case of wildlife for the time being specified in Schedule 1, Schedule 2, Schedule 3, Schedule 4, or Schedule 5) to be absolutely protected throughout New Zealand and New Zealand fisheries waters.

Compare: 1921–22 No 57 s 3(1)

Section 3: amended, on 1 October 1996, by section 316(1) of the Fisheries Act 1996 (1996 No 88).

Most species of wildlife (including mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians), native or introduced, are absolutely protected under the Wildlife Act 1953. This is consistent with the objective that wildlife should generally be protected. Where a different level of protection is required (e.g. to facilitate limited harvest or manage adverse effects of wildlife), a species can be listed on one of schedules 1 to 6 of the Act. This means that the species is no longer absolutely protected but has a lower level of protection. This allows a range of different management activities to occur depending on which schedule the species is listed on (refer Table 1 for details).

The Wildlife Act also provides protection to a small number of terrestrial or freshwater invertebrates and marine species. These species need to be listed on Schedules 7 or 7A of the Wildlife Act in order to be protected (if not listed they are not protected).

2 Likes

This is no good. If they feel like it they can turn up on your claim find any protected species and take the claim off you.

If it includes river permits then most river permits will be taken from us

Seems like another way to stop the small miner!
I’m sure they wouldn’t find a thing in the big corps areas :man_shrugging: just saying :sunglasses:

1 Like

I agree.
If any protected unhuntable native wildlife are found on a claimed area, that permit would be forfeit, regardless of what (if any) impact the prospecting/exploration/mining activities have on said wildlife.

That would spell the end of all mining in NZ, or at least give environmental radicals the chance to vetoe any permit.

The bill is only at its first reading, and hopefully it’ll get no further

if the greenies are involves it will be law before you know it.

Unfortunately I think the tide is against those that wish to undertake mining at a level beyond what can be done with hand tools, at least in this country. If current attitudes persist I imagine that there will be barely any mining going in this country in the near future.

Of course I’m biased but I fail to see how the powers that be can shut mining down in this country and happily import all that we need for our modern lifestyle from poor countries which couldn’t care less about environmental impacts. I believe it would be much more sustainable and environmentally friendly to extract as much as we as a country require from here. Cuts down shipping costs, transport emissions, keeps jobs and profits in the country and we can do it in such a way that balances rewards from mining with environmental impacts.

Instead we blindly import…

6 Likes

Thank fuck sage got knocked off her high flying unicorn and isn’t in control bloody hell

Problem is most are apathetic and cant be bothered fighting the red tape.

I think most people don’t have enough time, money or energy to do anything about it. Most of the time even wealthy mining companies struggle to make any headway

And many prospectors have been dealing with similar bs in other aspects of life (small business owners, farmers, gun owners, those who refused Covid “vaccine”, the list goes on.)
I’m optimistic that the tide will change next election.

3 Likes

She is the MP in charge of this bill… it’s all her doing

People aka the sheeples have done nothing to protect their rights against criminal legislation. Look at this ‘The Macraes Mine started in 1990, and in 2003 produced about 5,000 kilograms of gold. Production from 1990-2013 ~3 Moz of gold.’ - note the amount of gold in ONLY 23 years. This gold which belongs to NZ and the peopleof NZ goes to the Rothschilds I believe and they were large financers of this mine as the yloaned money to develop it. This is the way the the politicians have sold us down the drain.
We have to ask ourselves questions - to whose tune dothe politicians dance? Look at the protests that people are beginnning to have. In a way old Bishop Brian just might have more brains than we think!
Look at the decisions they have mnade to take YOUR rights - Taken firearms from lawful honest firearm owners while prmoting firearm crime by doing nothing about it what so ever! The politicians
are putting the lives of our Police Officers at risk.
Look at what they have done to recreational mining - the yhave totally destroyed your rights to pan a bit of gold.
When the geology maps of Fiordland were drawn up they purposely never put in certain discoveries - interesting that.

3 Likes

(181) Message to the EPA About Suction dredging - YouTube i know its not in New Zealand but still relative to the battle we face here as small scale suction dredge miners.

1 Like

(181) Joseph Greene EPA Research Biologist Retired re: Suction Dredge Mining 03 Feb 2014 - YouTube

The goal of all this is to lock up crown land restrict people to fee paying tourism ventures and lock out the people of this country unless you can pay the Mad hatters tea party springs to mind and don’t start on gun control thats working well !!

1 Like

New Zealand Suction dredging gold miners | Facebook page set up for suction dredge claim owners, sher owners and those who are serious about keeping our rights to access public land to continue our ventures.

2 Likes