Metal detector wanted

Hi there gogold. I had it on trademe for $3,300.00 with three coils. The standard 11" DD coil that it comes with & the 11" mono & a 12 x 7 Nugget finder Advantage coil. Here is a link to the listing.
Trade Me

Just out of interest. If you check the photos, photo number 8. Just above the white coil you will see a bush. That white thing in the bank in the background just to the left of the bush was a Moa leg bone. I didn’t disturb it back then but wish I had of. I went back 4 years later to get it & the sheep had trampled all over it & smashed it into a few pieces. DAMN. I did take it then but it was pretty damaged.

I am open to offers & to negotiate lower price with less coils…or more coils if you want. Cheers.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

Found some photos I took when I found that Moa leg bone. It was 7 years ago. 2013. bloody hell…where has that time gone. :roll_eyes:
This is the photo of the detectors & the bush up above the white coil, the white thing in the bank in the background just to the left of that bush is the leg bone.

Cap & glasse for scale.

They were quite a bit more damaged than this when I went back to get them. I dug around a bit but that was all there was. I was hoping there would be more.

3 Likes

Terrific moa leg bone. A great find. No moa no more.
I have a few moa bones in the back yard…she who rules the roost said that l have to take them to the scrap man because they no longer go. They are members of the Moa genus known scientifically as ‘Morrisianus fourstrokusdefunctus’
On a serious note l had found the odd Moa bone over the years when l was a kid and did a lot of exploring. Found a full skelington of a small moa once but dont know where it went.

1 Like

Wow, a moa leg bone!?! That’s a pretty cool thing to stumble over!

Hi Gavin. Yes. I am really disappointed that I didn’t take them on this trip in. This was actually the 2nd time I had been in to this area after I initially stumbled upon them. I took Mrs JW in to show her & to do some detecting. Hence the two detectors. I actually went in a 3rd time to show two of my sons & to do some more detecting & I still didn’t take them. I kinda felt bad about taking them so didn’t. It was 4 years later that I decided to go back with a back pack & some towels to wrap them up in. It was this time that I discovered the damage that had been done to them from the bloody sheep. I was so pissed off.
It was strange how there were just the two bits of the leg bones & nothing else. The one on the left is actually 180 degrees spun around from the “knee” knuckle joint of the lower leg bone. You can see the ball socket that would have gone into the hip/pelvic bone. I dug around & searched quite thoroughly but that was it. They were in the bank of a dry wash, so many moons ago may have got washed down from higher up & separated from the main body. Or maybe they were just a big drum stick feasted on & discarded by ancient Maori on a moa hunt back in the day.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:.

Or maybe it had been dismembered by one of those Haast eagles… that would make for interesting tramping if they were still around today!

1 Like

MMMmm…talking of the Haast Eagle, these bones were found not far from where some remains (bones) of a Haast eagle were found. That might be a give away as to the location. :slight_smile:

The Haast Eagle which was known as Pouakai or poukai - which I think means old glutton had a fairly far reaching habitat. I co wrote the Maori contribution to one of the DoC’s brochures and mentioned the fact that according to ancient accounts or legends they were known to swoop down and take babies and young children.

They died out with the moa more or less.

1 Like

Yes…the moa were supposedly their main prey & once they were gone the eagle took to the Maori & like you say, babies & young children.

1 Like

Great video though rather amused that the man said something about once the Moa was gone the Haast Eagle couldnt eat sparrows and things - too bloody right it couldnt - there were none here!

The trees at the introduction and the forest fire also was exotic trees and not natives! Still a good video and other than those two faux pas I enjoyed it.

1 Like