Marlborough Dredgers

Hi fellow dredgers in Marlborough. I am trying to find the person who made a submission to the MDC some time ago but never fronted to the Hearings Board. Although the submission period is closed there is still time to appeal. The following is from the Council this week…
Glen Parker has passed your query on to me to respond as it is more of a policy question.

The Council reviewed the region’s operative plans and then, in 2016, notified a proposed combined plan to replace those documents. The starting point for the development of the new plan was to carry over the provisions of the existing plans, and then to review where changes or additions we appropriate. Under the operative plans a resource consent is required for dredging, and this requirement has continued in the proposed Marlborough Environment Plan(MEP). This suggests that during the review either, this matter had not been raised, or that it was raised and the environmental impacts of making it a permitted activity were considered unacceptable. After notification of the MEP the public had the opportunity to submit on the provisions of the plan, which could have included requesting that dredging be made a permitted activity. I have reviewed the panning officers hearing report, which assessed the submissions relating to riverbed activities, and it appears there was one such submission. The planning officer recommended the submission be rejected as it did not contain any analysis of the potential effects, and as the submitter did not attend the hearing, no further information in response to the planners assessment was heard. The decision on the MEP has not yet been released so I cannot tell you whether the Hearings Panel agreed with the planning officer or not, the decision is due out in February 2020.

I am not able to comment on the content of plans in other regions.

I hope this information is of assistance, please do not hesitate to come back to me if you have any further questions.

Ngā mihi

Rachel Anderson
Policy Portfolio Manager

Te Kaunihera ā-rohe o Wairau
Cheers
Les Russell

Following that email…
Hi Les

Unfortunately it is too late to lodge a submission, and the hearings were closed back in April. At this stage, the submitter who did submit on dredging could appeal the decision if it does not accept the relief sought, and you could potentially work with him on that behind the scenes. Once the decision is notified, there is a 30 working day period in which appeals can be lodged.

If I can help any further, please let me know.

Ngā mihi

Rachel Anderson
Policy Portfolio Manager

Te Kaunihera ā-rohe o Wairau

Hey les that was me. The iwi opposed anything to do with it so I just gave up on it as I dont dredge in marlborough any more and the council and iwi seem very against any dredging in marlborough. I got your text the other day I’ll call you tomorrow about 7pm when I get back to town. I’m down south now.