Interpreting numbers/values

Vanquish 340: happy with purchase, thanks for recommendations.
I’ve perhaps figured out that a local “gold” coin shows as about 23/24. I’m getting highly variable readings from beer bottle tops. A “Woody” lid’s readings ranged from 16ish to mid 30s, likewise a Peroni lid. Which would be the true reading, the highest or ? And is there a chart or reference for metal valuables found in NZ? FWIW, I’ve also gathered that particular reading could be evidence of a couple of different items with quite differing values, but it would be nice to know in a bit more depth.
Working a few local beaches, I’ve found a $1 coin, a stainless steel knife, and evidence of a lot of drinking from glass and plastic bottles.

This’ll sort you out…
Vanquish Target IDs for NZ Coins

With few exceptions, most target ID’s given are based on an ideal presentation. In reality age, depth, mineralisation, proximity of other targets etc etc can vary these numbers wildly.
Best way is to listen to the tones from multiple directions (90°) before digging, how they vary for longer targets (eg the old can beavertails), irregular targets (rotten fragments of aluminium etc), iron grunts from crowncaps and in time try and guess what you are about to dig.
There are some which will still get you everytime, Long Whites and ‘V’ caps are a classic.
Rule of thumb is to swing a coil for at least 10hrs before you start getting good.

Thanks, getting towards double digits. :blush:

The Vanquish has very reliable stable target ID’s

Enjoy

NZ Silver Threepence, British 50% Silver Threepence = 16/17
NZ Silver Sixpence, British 50% Silver Sixpence = 18/19
NZ Silver Shilling, British 50% Silver Shilling = 21
NZ Silver Florin, British 50% Silver Florin = 26
NZ Silver Half crown, British 50% Silver Half Crown = 27/28
NZ and British Penny and 1/2 Penny = 16, 21, 23, 24 - ID drops with corrosion (29 and 27 when clean)
1 cent = 21
2 cent = 25/26
5 cent and cupro nickel sixpence = 9/10
Old 10 cent and cupro nickel shilling = 11/12
Old 20 cent and cupro nickel florin = 16/17
Old 50 cent and cupro nickel half crown = 17/18
Cupro nickel NZ Threepence = 3/4
$1, $2 = 21/22
British Farthing = Typically around 15 (24 when clean)
British 925 Threepence = 21/22
British 925 Sixpence = 26/27
British 925 Shilling = 29/30
British 925 Florin = 31/32
British 925 Half crown = 33/34
1/2 Sovereign - 15
Full Sovereign - 18/19
Queen Victoria shilling - 26/27
King George shilling - 27/28
Queen Elizabeth shilling - 20/21
King George florin - 27/28
Queen Elizabeth florin - 28/29
King George sixpence (1942) - 22/23/24
King George sixpence (1946) - 21/22

4 Likes

Far out…l couldnt remember half that. If my detector goes beep beep then l dig it…and have had many pleasant surprises.

2 Likes

Most targets you want to dig end up very similar numbers so you soon get the idea of the numbers you want to dig to get the coins or jewellery you’re chasing. I don’t want to spend my time digging 1 or 2 cent coins. It’s not always viable to “beep dig” everything in park situations where there is often a lot of junk and seldom good targets so without making a mess cherry picking a particular coin type is sensible in those situations. If you wanted to dig everything without making a mess you’d have to use the screwdriver type method and spend hours wasting your time digging pull tabs and other undesirables.

While what you say is going to give the best results overall, it’s not always a good idea.

1 Like

How do these compare to the Nox?

Target ID’s are exactly the same, and the performance giving reliable target ID’s is virtually identical. The Vanquish is good bang for the buck as a coin detector.

1 Like

Thanks. Thought they might have been as that was the range I was hitting targets. But there are a few more on that list I had missed. So will update my target chart!

I have found $1 and $2 at 19. So I basically dig anything 18 - 22.
Around 16 / 17 I don’t get so excited about as it increases my junk ratio.
3 - 4 has been productive pulling silvers,
Havent tried too may 30+ as its hard to get a solid target - I’ll concentrate more on these now.

Excellent list. Cheers

Yup, any mineralisation or iron near a target can drag down the ID, along with depth of course.

If you want half crowns you really need to dig those numbers around 30.

1 Like

Hi Simon, What Lammerlaw didn’t tell you is that he is most likely talking about gold detecting. So… goes beep… dig it. As you will know from the Nox & gold detecting, not all ID numbers tell the truth. What ever the truth is :roll_eyes: Especially with the different sizes of gold or its purity.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

Yup, if you’re looking for nuggets you really have no choice but to mostly ignore ID’s, but not too many people would be looking for nuggets with a Vanquish, although it will do it, it’s not really ideal.

Nuggets come in all different shapes and sizes, ID’s are just for coins really, even jewellery you can’t use numbers for the same reason as gold, it can be just about any number, all the numbers do for jewellery is inform if you if its a low conductor or high conductor so you have an idea if it’s silver or gold.

Coins on the other hand, the ID’s on the Vanquish and Nox are very good, I have a very high success rate of knowing what coin it is under my coil when I find one.

1 Like