How to Make A SM Gold Viewer Turbo For Free

The creeks are too cold, I’m bored. So its time to make plans for next summer.

So first on the list is to make an underwater viewer so I can spot all the gold I missed last year. So here is my project.

Parts needed

• piece of drain pipe scabbed off a friendly drainlayer. Make sure it has the female end.
  • Piece of 150 x 150mm acrylic (kindly donated by a workmate who has family in an acyclic place.
  • Bathroom RTV. From the back of a garage cupboard.
  • Masking tape. Back of workbench drawer

Tools:
1 jigsaw with fine tooth blade
1 x 1l tin of paint.

Step one
Wrap acrylic in masking tape - helps stop it chipping as the saw goes around it. And is an extra layer of anti-scratch while it is being worked.

Step two . Put tin (make sure tin fits snuggly into female end of waste pipe) on acrylic and draw circle

Step three. Cut out circle. Once done check it fits in the pipe.

Step four. When it fits, peal off all the tape and put back in pipe. Run a bead of RTV in the gap

Step five. Wet finger and run it around the RTV to make it nice and smooth.

Step five. Admire finished product (to go with home made sluice)

Its a prototype. Give RTV 72 hours to cure. Tomorrow I’l test. I think I may end up drilling holes just outside the RTV line to let air out of the tube when it goes into the water.

Special design features that come with the Turbo version.

• Long viewer to see into deep crack where gold runs away and hides
  • solid pipe so should be able to be biffed up on rocks
  • Lens protector (lens is prevented from hitting the gold directly by special rim
  • On the off chance lens does get damaged by looking at too much gold, it can be easily cut out and another lens put in its place
11 Likes

If you go to your Two dollar shop and buy a large magnifying glass for $5 dollars ,they about 90 mm and put inside your pipe work great . the gold will look bigger to all the best.

2 Likes

Done the $3.00 mod. Magnifying glass now sitting at bottom of tube, Not sure how it will work. Field trial next week.

Also drilled some holes to let the air out - don’t want anythign to prevent me seeing all the gold

4 Likes

Just a little tip for fingering the rtv .if you get a bit of soapy water and dip your finger in it before you smooth the rtv then it kinda lubricates and and helps it not stick so much to your finger .

1 Like

how did it work shotover

1 Like

I’ve had various versions of these, both commercially made and home made. Just need to be careful with the pvc pipe when it’s cold. If not careful it will crack if very cold and you throw it down to hard. If you’re wanting to view a bigger area a bucket if the way to go. A mate has the perfect old style 7 litre thick rubber plastic type bucket with a pourer spout but I struggled to source one of those so I just used a 10 litre paint bucket. Great for carrying small sniping tools. I didn’t even notch the perspex it, just used a tube of gutter sealant, jigsawed out the base and glued from below. The sealant is very strong. If it ever gives out just reseal. It’s perfect for very bigger areas, the size can also be used to your advantage is removing loose gravel fines in the current too, peels it back to expose gold under it in the cracks.

2 Likes

It worked really well. Only major fault is it found no gold. No Leaks and clear view.

I have cut it down a bit to save on weight and found I dint need it that long.

Hasn’t had a lot of use because public fossicking sites don’t have a lot of crevasses to explore. So I have tended to just run blind and shovel through the sluice.

1 Like