Greenstone gold specimen

My misses has in the passed got talking about gold prospecting with one of her clients the next time she see him he pull this ripper out blood nice hey

7 Likes

Ooh…That’s a purdy piece! Very nice specimen.

1 Like

Wow that is a cracker//I knew they were found in similar areas but I didn’t know Jade could be a direct host rock for gold… very cool!

1 Like

Same here Mal i was wondering how rare it was apparently my missus asked if it was for sale but because it was gifted or u cant sale greenstone it was a no go

1 Like

It is a stunning piece but it doesn’t look like greenstone. What’s the purple colour? And the white looks like quartz.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

The missus says there is no purple and the purple in the photo is the flash but hey who know still look like pudding yummy

Looks even less like greenstone in that pic. :joy:

3 Likes

Its not greenstone. Not even close sadly

2 Likes

Oh well im not a expert just telling the story my missus got told :+1:

1 Like

Im not a geologist but could that be cinnabar as im pretty sure you find gold with the natural form of mercury that being cinnabar,cinnabar was found at the nokomai gold project and i think it maybe up waipori falls way to.

2 Likes

Its still a cracker of a rock specimen

1 Like

Cinnabar crossed my mind too seeing that last pic. Plenty of it in the Coromandel. Not that I found any. I wouldn’t have thought native gold would be with cinnabar though. Being the ore of mercury. Apparently if you heat cinnabar over fire in a shovel beads of mercury will sweat out of it.

2 Likes

Cinnabar was with the heavy minerals in nokomai,the guy in the gold room that used to smelt the gold ended up with mercury running down the portcom walls and sadly he is no longer around.

2 Likes

Was that due to the mercury, or unrelated?

There was cinnabar at Waitahuna Heights at Waipori.probably by far the richest cinnabar in NZ. I have seen cinnabar from several locations but the Waipori cinnabar was by far the most soectacular.

The mine was owned by the Nobels Explosive Company of Glasgow at one stage l think.

4 Likes

No surprises…there is mercury in nevis gold too!

1 Like

Is it actually in the gold or is the gold just coated with spilt/lost mercury from gold recovery methods? A lot of mercury coated gold can be found down stream from old stamper setups in hard rock gold areas up in them thar hills.

Im not an expert by any stretch but i always understood nevis and nokomai gold had mercury within it. That was supported by a paper by Youngston i recall too

1 Like

Think your correct mangrove,the mine wall was 40m deep at times so no introduced mercury from old timers,was told a story a young fella went to shutdown a pump with out turning the bypass valve on,with the head of water in the pipe the water spun the engine backwards at about 10000rpm and chyenobled the motor into a million pieces

2 Likes

Wow thats a nice one