Gold price is on the rise again steadily great to see

i have a feeling the price will steady climb up and down a bit but certainly above all on its way up

2 Likes

Hasnt started to rise yet. I notice that its down on last week and the lowest itā€™s been since it hit that all time high some time ago so itā€™s still going down. Below $2500 an ounce now.
Maybe a good time to buy. I have just been offered quite a few ounces recently so if it goes down a bit more l might buy. Mostly Lindis gold mined many years ago.

4 Likes

Was low 70s per gram, now back up to almost 80.

2 Likes

The difference is pitiful - hit the low on March 1st at $2368.70 and right this moment $2489.25 an increase of a mere $120.55 over a three week period. It has however today gone back to just over $80,000kg.
I have seen increases of that much and more overnight.
I will be impressed - and disappointed when I see it progressively rise daily without any downward fluctuation - then you know its on its way up!
oops just lost another $1 down 0.06% on two minutes ago and for the last hour has shown that trend with two minute losses of 0.06 and 0.05. that all means nothing - minor fluctuationsā€¦when it takes off it might do so with a vengeance.
I think Danno is right though - but not yet.

3 Likes

In the last 6 months or so the NZD has gained lots on the USD hence the recent decline. The dollar shed a few cents in the last week due to our moronic govts decisions so a small increase in the last few days.

Wait until the QE money printing finishes around the word, the debt hangover and likely recession will send precious metal prices to the moon.

Gold and silver are money, everything else is just credit. ~ J.P Morgan

5 Likes

With all time highs come an absolute rise, but with each incline, comes a decline. Plus, who really knows that the markets going to be doingā€¦ Golds going upā€¦ and for a good reason too! Watch the next gold rush unfold as itā€™s allready happening right under everyoneā€™s noses.
Fortunately for meā€¦ even when Iā€™m not getting gold, Iā€™m enjoying myself playing in the creek! Very fortunate if you can manage to have a Hobbie like this and profit enough to make a living.

4 Likes

Hi there, What gold rush are you referring to happening under everyoneā€™s noses? As no gold is easy gold & even harder for your every day sole operator fossicker/hobby type person to make a contestant profit day in day out & so make it a living. Thats a pipe dream. If it was that easy & that rewarding, everybody would be out there doing it.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Gold rush - I dont think so. There are very few hard and fast keen gold fossickers comparatively speaking. Gold shot from $35 an ounce to $150 an ounce in double quick time in the early 1980s and there were articles in the newspapers about the gold rush to be and it was also still the formative years of underwater and floating gold dredges so everyone thought it would be the next gold rush - but nothing happened.
Several newspapers approached us at the time and were merely told ā€˜no story hereā€™ and the whole thing died a natural death.
I think that if you expect a gold rush then you will be sadly mistaken.

3 Likes

I would say there is defintley a peak of Hobbyist miners as never seen before, but in terms of actual an actual Rush where people are employed by mining its if anything the opposite (from what I have seen). And the claim system as it is these days ( at least in NZ) would really make it if there was a modern gold rush a bunch more claims would just sprout up with a lot more indviduals making a living off it and maybe a bit more popularity in public claims.

1 Like

Hard to say for one simply reason - the media, internet and nearly everyone who is interested in the hobby trolling here. This might make it look as though half the country is ā€˜going for itā€™
Back before there was such easy social media exposure they were out there - but no one knew. I knew many people who indulged in hobby mining back in the 70s BUT the rest of the country never knew as there was no internet exposure. I can personally name no less than fifteen serious 1960ā€™s - 70s hobby miners whom I knew personally but now they are long retired and not actively engaged in the hobby or dead at the moment.
You will also find that there are comparatively few on this site who hobby mine for gold and even then there are less stalwarts of the hobby who are serious about it.

2 Likes

I canā€™t argue you that youā€™ve got to be spot on the point there. To be completly honest the first time I ever thought about gold mining was off one of those fake youtube videos ā€œFINDING A HUGE $10 MILLON NUGGET IN MY LOCAL RIVERā€ and then next time we were at the place at Charleston I thought what I reamember this was a gold rush town there must be gold here, I read through all our old family diarys from the early-mid 1900ā€™s and I found a few mentions of gold panning in a local river, I went down got a few specs of colour and then have been hooked ever since. And it defintley looks like by on here or any Gold Prospecting group online there are thousands hooked onto it when really probably only a 10th or less are actual prospecters, I know plenty of people (eg my uncle a couple of my dadā€™s friends, my cousins etc ) that tag along on those sorts of online sites just to have a look and maybe learn something when they hardly ever actually go gold prospecting.

Cheers-

A lot of people try it once or twice and then give up as they find nothing or look through these sites but never do much themselves. A lot troll these sites as opportunists to glean knowledge for others so that they can capitalise out of others and their spots. At the same time there are some top people here, like Kiwikeith whom I knew and spend some really great days with - even if the weather did turn to custard!
Most of the Youtube videos are melodramatic let downs or people who get a gram and then make this video ā€˜My Best day yetā€™ or ā€˜A fortune in an afternoonā€™ and on the basis of the video title you watch it only to find that its not even peanuts but rather the peanut shells he/they have got. I got sick of them in the end - I would rather watch cowboy movies because they are more realistic!
My family were involved in Gold mining over the years so I guess it was natural that I continued. I do get amused at all the modern gear that people spend thousands on, some of it very very good indeed. Being a Scrooge I never did upgrade and my dredges all date back to the 1960s and were amongst the very first of the suction dredges used in NZ - they still work ok.
Gold mining is FUN! Thats how I see it now - as well as an escape from the tax man, bills, nagging wife and having to work upgrading my home, mowing lawns and doing mundane chores.

3 Likes

Over the years I have had quite a few new chums approach me as to getting into gold dredging. Most likely as I had a bit of a reputation as to being rather successful, was open to help, and didnā€™t mind sharing my knowledge. ā€œNoteā€ I did say ā€œShare my knowledgeā€. The first thing I told them is. "I am not going to tell you where to find gold. That you can find by yourself, by doing the hard yards as I did. Besides, If I knew other places where there was good gold. I would be going there myself. I might give them a bit of a hint. Like try this creek or river. But only general information. My next bit of advice was. ā€œDonā€™t make Dredging your day job, you will fail miserably.ā€.
It works like this. You will need an ounce a week at least, to make a living. (Gold was at between $480 - $600 an ounce then).

Now rivers flood. And can take up to a week to clear. So no dredging. The following week, you need to catch up and so you need to get two ounces. Before long all you are ever doing is trying to catch up. And that just wonā€™t happen. End of dream.

Several took my advice and it became just a hobby for them. Several didnā€™t ,threw in a well paying day job, and later regretted it.
Well they had no come back on me, they had, had good advice and ignored it. I would only learn of their failure on the grapevine. I still
continue to give the same advice. No promises or riches from me. Just the truth.

Cheers Trev aka ā€œThe Hatterā€

5 Likes

I took 3 months of summer off work and went gold hunting, detecting, sniping, dredging (4inch). Spent well less than half that time in the creek. I ended up with about 4oz for my troubles. This was enough to cover costs for myself, wife and two young kids but didnā€™t leave anything spare. I would be very hesitant to do gold hunting full time unless I had access to a rich claim or a larger operation. HOWEVER it was a fantastic way to spend a summer!

7 Likes

Thats my dream to spend a whole summer on my claim just dredging and smelling the roses and enjoying life , but bloody work gets in the way cant seem to make enough outa gold to give up my day job , gotta make the most of whatever it is we enjoy not here for ever

4 Likes

@Lammerlaw and John, apologies. I think Iā€™ve misused the term 'gold rush. I was actually more referring to the hobby becoming more popular. I do agree with both of you in the way that there wonā€™t be a massive employment of new gold minersā€¦ nz is too environmentally aware to go and create more large scale mines. And I guess there are the upper power of people who for obvious reasons, are quite happy to not have all the gold in circulation. Hence why itā€™s so difficult, or illegal even, to go out and find it.
Iā€™m personally as new as it gets. Have only really started paying attention to prospecting in the last 3-4 months. I work full time so obviously donā€™t expect to make bank off the gold, but I do really enjoy getting out there. Plus the idea of having another good hard solid form of something to trade with, even if itā€™s a small amountā€¦ just appeals to me.
Iā€™m sure you guys are somewhat the same hence weā€™re all here! Anyhow, I know finding gold isnā€™t easy. Iā€™ve found Jack. But Like anything, time will take its course and Iā€™ll see some colour soonā€¦ and only then will there be a gold rushā€¦ :rofl::wink:

2 Likes

Think of it this wayā€¦you are only allowed to mine for or fossick for gold on a claim or at one of the very few (18) public gold fossicking locations. Keeping that in mind if there were any signs of a rush then the gold fossicking locations would be elbow to elbow and most of the time there are one or two there at most. In truth only a dozen or so guys actually discuss them here.
There are a few guys who do well or have done well gold fossicking and have had kgs of it but other than appetizers they show and tell nothing on here and even if they did then those who followed the dream would soon realise that unless they are lucky, very lucky, it is not as lucrative as they might think.

4 Likes

Your very right mate, itā€™s quite easy to watch Ausie gold hunters and almost catch the bug just off watching it. But very few people would progress to the point on actually going and finding it.

I guess the golden rule isā€¦ donā€™t gamble what you canā€™t afford to loose. Im never going to go outside of my means to try and ā€˜hit it richā€™. But ofcourse Iā€™m going to try and spend my weekend finding some goodies. Even just cool rocks/gems. I canā€™t imagine everyone enjoying wasting their time as I doā€¦ But the other golden ruleā€¦ Do what makes you Happy, and I make sure I live by that one too!
Iā€™ve seen a few posts your involved with mate, and your obviously very knowledgeable and have got the gold many of times. I take my hat off to ya! Wish I was in a better location for gold, but I make do!

1 Like

You have to make the most of where you are. I like your comment about cool rocks and gems - I will buy that. I could spend a lifetime exploring and pillaging the Coromandel - or nelson/Takaka - but I am where I am and therefore have to be happy there.

I get nothing like the gold I used to - nothing like it BUT I still have fun and love getting out. My limitations were proven last trip when I moved four huge rocks, bust my new orange fibreglass lifelong? guaranteed shovel handle and ended up with chest pains telling me something! But I still love it and yes ā€˜I know a placeā€™ so will keep going for a while yet.

Yes for sure do what makes you happy - hmm for me no willing women though so shall we say do what gives you a degree of happiness. I am sure, in fact I know, that you dont waste your time - your passing it happily indulging in what you like doing and even if you find nothing, even if your cold and wet - you still wouldnt swap it for anything. Finding something is the icing on the cake, that special bonus. If I find ten cents on the road I think its Christmas!

5 Likes

Jesusā€¦have you broken that shovel handle already?? Whatā€™s thatā€¦one month old?? Crow bar needed.

I cant help but feel this has gone way off topic from original thread. :roll_eyes:

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes