Gold around Waikato or Waihi?

We’re in Auckland and I see there’s fossicking in the South Island but do you think there’s any around Waikato or waihi we could try out? Beginners.

1 Like

There are no legal fossicking areas in the north island

Plenty of gold to find on Auckland beaches if you know how to use a detector and are willing to put the time in

Do some research, get a gold pan, have a roadie.

2 Likes

I am heading up Coro way tomorrow. Taking two detectors with me for a few days going over some old haunts. Gold Monster & GPX 6000. Should be interesting. I know a few spots… Usually it was sluice box gold but I am quietly confident with the detectors knowing the gold I have got from these spots in the past.
Fingers crossed.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Well, I got back home today & my Coro detecting trip was a bust as it did nothing but rain & the creeks were up & running dirty. So that was a bummer. Found $2.35 in a kids playground in the bark between rain drops in Thames. Checked out the museum there which was good but the mineral museum was closed. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Yep we have had our fair share of weather up Coro this year, hopefully its flushed some of the good stuff out into the open, I hope to get back up the creeks soon :slight_smile: Shame you missed the mineral Museum some good specimens in there. Take a look at the following link to see some of what you missed, some great 3D modeling of the rocks.
https://sketchfab.com/wzs1518/collections/thames-school-of-mines-9e0dd8d45b494ae1b7f68ed3a6e66267

2 Likes

That was cool. Thank you. :+1: