Gloves for dredging

Hi , just wondering where all the decent gloves are at for dredging , iv run out of the orange Keene type , dredgenz don’t stock any so wondering what everyone else is using? , not after any neoprene ones . Cheers

1 Like

Go for the Ninja gloves at NZ safety black woods.

2 Likes

I just wear the cheap gardening type gloves you get from Bunnings etc. fabric that have fingers and palms dipped in that thin rubbery type coating.

I blow through a pair every weekend, but as they’re so cheap…

Not so good when the water is still winter chilly though.

1 Like

Haha Nar I like ones that last , those orange ones keen have or had would last a season easy . Thinking I mite have a look at the Ninja gloves , they sound like they mite be good for busting up bedrock & claim jumpers :rofl:

3 Likes

Black Bulls are better than the Ninjas I think, thicker but still tactile. Currently running Ninjas, but will be going back to the Bulls.
For toastie pinkies, I wear a pair of nitrile rubber gloves underneath (like the blue first aider gloves, but durable) - acts like a wetsuit for the hand, saves chaffed fingers after many hours in the water too.

3 Likes

+1 for ninjas, they last longer than neoprene dive gloves, and are warmer than those rubber dipped garden gloves.
Will try the Bulls thanks @Mudwiggle

I don’t like the ninja models that have heaps of insulation fluff, it can be difficult to get your hands into them once wet.
A pair of heavy duty rubber chemical gloves over top of ninjas or bulls might be ok for dredging?

You won’t look back, some gloves I’ve had haven’t been full rubber and the cloth portion often wore out quickly and I got bleeding knuckles. These last a good number of days and are only around $12

5 Likes

The orange gloves are the ones. Blackwood paykels sell them. As seen on some on the TV shows, not just gold but some of the fishing shows too. Last ages, cheap, way better than some of the other rubbish. Quite grippy rubber, just throw on over neoprene. Wear well when moving rocks. Only downside is eventually the liner separates and traps gravel inside the glove. But at 12 a pair buy a new set.

2 Likes

I’ll have to give some of those a whirl!

Direct link for everyone’s convenience:

3 Likes

Atlantis legacy G20 wetsuit glove. Line them with exo skeleton of Aquaseal + FD. I have had the same pair for 10 years. Don’t put Aquaseal all over, but in the high wear spots, keeps the wetsuit flexible.

2 Likes

where abouts do you buy the exo skeleton of aquaseal +FD i see hunting and fishing sell Aquaseal gear good stuff for sure but i wonder if you have another source of where you buy yours?

Divegearonline.co.Nz cheapest I’ve found, $22. Made sure it’s FD. Don’t get huge tube, they get nailed before you use it all. Keep it in freezer.

Don’t just cover glove in goo, it’s flexible but too stiff for hand movement. Leave untouched flexible sections at the natural joins in your hand. metatarsal joints.

1 Like

Any photos? Would love to see how people pimp their gloves for longer life.

For some of the neoprene kevlar gloves I wore through the fingertips, I cut the best fingertips off a bunch of light rubber dipped gloves I’d worn through fingertips on and used some marine sealant to stick them on the fingers of the neoprene gloves.

I stuck my hand in the neoprene gloves, filled each light weight glove finger with the sealant, then pulled it in place on the finger. Then I’d carefully extract my hand and let the Frankenstein glove set.

3 Likes

Gavin very smart. I’ve tried a fair few types, the kevlar ones can wear pretty quickly in the fingers like all of them and are not cheap. I’ve settled on wearing two pairs of gloves at once now and moved away from kevlar. Inners and outers. Inners are just pretty standard gardening gloves pretty cheap and keep the hands warm, outers are hard wearing ones, I think they are a leather composite, you get them from hunting and fishing in the diving section. So the outers still wear but you dont have to replace them so often to keep the fingers warm, a few holes dont matter. Kevlar doesn’t seem all its cracked up to be for wear.

2 Likes

Are those orange ones called *lynn river? If not then try and find the lynn river glove, bloody awesome. Or mitre 10 stocks a red rubbery glove that is pretty tuff and fits over the wettie glove well, just dosnt have much cuff, so i tape them on…