Full face dredge mask

Hi team. Who has a full face mask? Are they worth it. I’ve read they help with dry air like I get in my regulator and also I tend to bite to hard on regulator and end up chewing off the mouth lumps. With my current mask it has a vent in it as all the other masks I have had fog up no matter what I do or I use in them. Do full faces fog up? Is the 1 dan is selling for about 700 all good or would you spend a bit more and get something different thank you

1 Like

i also use the full face mask that dan sells and its beautiful man no fogging issues or leaks i love that mask …i brought the anti fog drops and have always used them but yea the full face mask that dan sells is the buisness have never had an issue at all

1 Like

and yepits the same mask that dan sells i brought it off him and your right around 700$ mark but like i said worth every cent have never looked back 10 out of 10 from me…!!!

1 Like

I just use a pro dive mask. i have no issues with it fogging when the water is warmer. i find the fogging worse when its the colder months or when its early morning and not warmed up. I think if you’re in and out of the water the fogging can be worse too. if you just stay under its a bit easier for it to clear.
Like Danno i also use the anti fog drops. I’m not sure how good they are. my first lot was a nice gel consistency and seemed ok but the latest couple im not sure if they changed the brew but its sort of more coagulated. there’s also a spray bottle of it but i found that’s a bit thin and runny. overall it works best if applied in a thin layer with a gloveless finder, and left in the sun to set. a struggle if you’re already suited up mid dive and its freezing. ends up thick, doesn’t cure, and comes off.
Whens its the colder months or early in the day i use a IST brand silicone full face mask. Think they come in either silicone or rubber versions. These are great to stop ice cream face in very cold water but it’s hard to get a good seal and yes they steam up. The problem i think is unlike the mask dregenz sells it only has the one set of straps and one on top so the bottom bit can leak if you don’t suction it on good. Prob depends on your face shape maybe. Also if you’ve had a shave or not too. These masks are hard to locate and not the cheapest but a cheaper option than a full blown full mask made for regulators. They also don’t make it easy to fit a regulator through the mouth opening. Ok for snorkels. When sniping i always use this IST full face mask. The field of view is prob not as wide as some snorkels though. If you want one i think you have to import them as i’ve only once seen one for sale in NZ. Got mine from the U.S. If you search the IST site they’re there somewhere.

4 Likes

Here is the IST mask i mentioned. ninefit.nz are selling them in NZ for $380 but i’m sure i got mine for under $200. After wearing one of these in cold water i’d never use a normal snorkel mask again unless it’s summertime and hot.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the wetsuit…

14 Likes

Hi Laidlw
Daz here from Abyss Dredging, I use an OTS Spectrum with a good reg, can’t go wrong.
As for the mask fogging up.
If you’re using hot water don’t have it to hot and don’t have the water outlet up high on your wet suit.
All so BABY SHAMPOO is all I use not to much, a little goes a long way.
Never use dishwash detergent, just take it from me Don’t.
Merry Xmas

3 Likes

your right winter dredging to keep your face warm , disadvantages smaller field of view, fogging issues , larger surface area flaps around in fast water causing leaks , and i prefer to have my reg seperate to my mask just incase my mask comes off , i still have air supply . im sure theres much better out there

2 Likes

Great advice. I brought a OTS spectrum 2 years ago & its fantastic. 5 straps for a snug fit & great visibility. Not cheap but better to pay for quality.

4 Likes

If your mask keeps fogging up give it a good scrub up with toothpaste as youve likely got a film built up on the lens.

1 Like

My current mask with vent dosnt mask up but all others do even my custom prescription googles fog up i think it might be me breathing out my nose a little