Fragment from 7 inch Armstrong 110lb cannonball

This cannon was used in the battle of Gate Pa in April 1864 for 100 firings and shipped overseas again, biggest calibre explosive cannonball ever fired in nz (7 inch), also not all of the projectiles the 110lb Armstrong fired were explosive, so many less cannonballs were fired than the 100 rounds it fired

3 Likes

Better than a gold nugget.
In short - bloody marvelarse.
A fantastic find - lm jellyarse.

1 Like

Pure blasphemy!! :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Depending on who you are and what you have had less of! Cant say I have had much in the way of cannon balls!

1 Like

Have you gone looking for them? Cannon balls that is.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Who me? I have two cannon balls but they cant do any damage any more.

3 Likes

Definitely wasnt expected, i was just digging every signal to get to deeper ones and that came out, i have it soaking so will post pics when its cleaned up

1 Like

Have you had the operation Lammers? I had mine after two kids then third arrived

I have had more operations than the doctor has preformed!

I think I mentioned on here many moons ago that I found a 4 pounder cannonball at Corsair Bay, near Lyttleton. Was quite encrusted but cleaned up ok. Haven’t done any preservation on it so starting to scab off.
Big cannonballs have been found off the cliffs in Devonport.

2 Likes

The ships coming into port in the early days could not have loaded cannons in port and they discharged the cannons at Northhead/Devonport.
A friend of mine there has two cannonballs from the back yard and another friend used to go there to dig them as a wee fella sity and more years ago…hes an old sod now.

Yep, many 40pdr cannons were used, but the 110pdr 7inch bore Armstrong was only ever shipped to nz for the battle i believe