Favorite public area

Hello prospectors what is everyone’s favorite public area for me its shamrock creek because the camp ground is good and the bush is beautiful and the gold is not the worst for a public area

2 Likes

Ye i love goldsborough to mate always good colour . But my best day has been Louis creek with a 1.6 gram nugget . Hanging to get out .

3 Likes

Yeap Shamrock crk is good, however I had some good days camped at Slab hut, camping a stone throw from the river and getting some nice flakes now and then.

1 Like

i must be doing something wrong. havent been to shamrock for a year or two but last 2 trips there i got bugger all. slab hut was ok though.

1 Like

Yeah nice place to is slab hut was there last weekend and got our first picker as me and my partner are new to prospecting

3 Likes

Cool as mate would love to come across a 1.6er i just got the misses a monster 1000 for her birthday so i might get 1 or should i say she might get 1 lol

2 Likes

Ye mate money well spent thats what scored me that nugget ! Although i never had any luck at shamrock with the mosnter due to it being mainly fine gold a .

On that day 30 seconds in i rock hopped an slipped over in the creek right next to my truck an basically fractured my hand lol :laughing: persevered and came up with the goods . Il never forget that day .

6 Likes

Shit mate hand not looking that flash but that nugget awesome life long memory for sure. Yeah got plan to get around the other site with the monster

1 Like

Public area we have had the best luck at, well thats a secret :wink:.

In terms of favourites to fossick in, Both Slab Hutt and Shamrock were our favourites when we first got into prospecting as there is always good consistent gold there, but never got much more then a few grams a day, so have more or less moved on as it was more of just the more you dug the more gold you got, not too exciting as such. Favourite in terms of just like the site as of right now, might have to be Nelson creek, such a cool location, and its great to fossick in that small creek vibe, and has some gold to be found, and is more prospecting and testing type site rather then just moivng yards, Moonlight is also pretty awesome some stunning country, access is just a pain and no facilites.

Cheers

3 Likes

Cool have not been to Nelson creek as of yet its on the cards what is the camp ground like

Haven’t been to them all but Goldsbrough seems to the easiest to hit gold, although fine. Nelson creek is just a beautiful spot, gold wasn’t easy but hard work paid off. Slab hut was the first place I hit up and found nothing, but I’ve learnt alot since then!

2 Likes

Fantastic campground, pub across the road is a bonus :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Shit a pub might be there next weekend lol thanks for the info

1 Like

Clean and tidy camping, the fossicking site is a very small creek, not the river at the camp

2 Likes

Sure dose look nice and a pub across the road cant go wrong with a trip there cheers for the pictures

2 Likes

I actually just happened to have made a short video of my last trip to the Nelson Creek area

3 Likes

Yeah winter rivers are the worst, dislocated my middle finger at Slab Hut last winter, which required stitches (when I finally got around to it 3 days later) but you are right perseverance is the key.

2 Likes

Ok I will have to narrow it down to my top 4!..lol
Number 4 Moonlight
3… Arrow
2… slab hut!
1 …Aorere A… because the local gold, people and camping are great!

6 Likes

Yeah the campsites and the people u meet there is a highlight with the public fossicking area.

2 Likes

i pretty well keep to myself when im out but when i see someone in the area im in ive never been ignored by a fossicker. everyone seems to be up for bit of a chat and the same back from me. we are generally a friendly lot. lol

3 Likes