Dredging effectively

Hi team trying to make my dredging trips more time efficient what are some tips and tricks you have done with your dredge for easyer set up and disassemble and clean ups etc. I have a keene 5 inch

Cam locks for hose connections. Need to do this myself. Makes life so much easier!

1 Like

Our best timesaver has been the use of the Le Trap sluice set in the dredge for cleanup. We have dredged in the Shotover and the Arrow, both loaded with black sand and fine gold and can clean up both top and underflow of 6 inch dredge in about 15 minutes. It leaves us with around a cup of concentrate easily panned up (with a little practice) We’ve checked to see if any fine gold gets through and only the odd speck escapes. The ability of the Le Trap to catch fine gold is quite amazing!

7 Likes

Yup we use le trap fpr clean up on dredge too

1 Like

We have cam locks off the pumps. Thinking about welding somebon the power jet

1 Like

Skip lunch. Deadlift often. Skip booze. Hack the end off a letrap for cleanup. Wide mouthed gold bottles save a heap of time, you can stick both fingers in the bottle neck.

1 Like

+1 for deadlifts - Helps alot

1 Like

Letrap is terrible to be honest worst clean up I’ve used

1 Like

Do an extra tank before dark (6
to 8pm) instead of freezing yourself early in morning

2 Likes

What does “deadlift” refer to? Agree with starting and finishing later especially later in season!

1 Like

I rather start super early and finish at 5 latest :sweat_smile:…and chill
… clean up too with a beer :slight_smile: to 8 :sunglasses:he he

3 Likes

Oh OK, think I may be a bit over that at 73!

1 Like

Hell no if you have to do it then you NEVER give up!
I have to attach Priscilla’s arms to her body and I bet I do it and on my own if need be and Priscilla’s arms are heavier than anything in that video.
Oh I see your an old bastard at 73 - theres the difference - I am only 72! - 73 next burpday which is in four weeks.

1 Like

You need it more. There’s a big body of work supporting basic weightlifting for mature bones.

8pm is pushing it, but I agree, it gets dark about 10pm in Otago Dec/Jan. Frozen wetsuits in the morning sort of bite. I started putting the wetsuit undercover (out of frost) so at least they weren’t frozen. A little bit of hot water in the suit with shampoo, in the early morning helps the pain.

One thing to try, to make up time, is trust your box, and not wash it up more than once a day. Endless stopping and checking slows you down. Unless you are on a 5 oz+ day, the box will handle it.

Maybe try little lists for basic tasks, even if its mental lists. Beginners start with procedures or checklists. Amateurs throw away lists and free form like simba the lion. Pro’s end up with lists again. Think of what slows you down the most, and sharpen your axe.

And tie up ropes as you can. Nothing like a tangled web of rope to slow you down, particularly when you need it.

3 Likes

Red marine grease, resistant to water, helps with stubborn/rusting threads.

3 Likes

-Always take x 2 wetsuits. one dry while you get into it while the other dries
-Terrace your hole- Youll thank me for that later
-Run 1 size jet down in your engine carb. Reduces fuel burn and stops you having to get out and fuel up as often. Works better at altitude too

• use electrolytes if in water more than 4 days. Your body will strip out salts when your underwater as the skin is exposed to fresh water all the time. Reduces headaches, cramps and fatigue
  • piss in your suit. Stops ya having to get out every 10 mins
5 Likes