Cosmo's finds enjoy

According to hippopotamus’s mud is certainly under rated after all didnt they sing; -

Mud Mud, glorious mud
nothing like mud for cooling the blood
So follow me follow
Down to the hollow
And there we will wallow
In glorious mud

And of course dont forget the metal detector!

1 Like

Na at the moment it’s just mud till it gives up a bit more treasure then it will be glorious

:grinning:

Think that spoon deciphers as follows:
Globe (if that’s what it is) could be Daniel & Arter, Birmingham early 1900’s
“A1” = Premium grade plating (2 2/3g per desert spoon)
And maybe a date letter which I can’t pick

3 Likes

Ok, it has valarium silver written on it and that kept taking me to john round and son ltd but thats awesome thanks

1 Like

Possibly John Round, I see they did make use of a globe design occasionally. I think the key is cracking that last symbol.

1 Like

They don’t make it that easy do they lol. Oh well will look it up later gonna brave the heat and go to local park as tides aren’t right. Thanks for your help and happy hunting.

Hey guys had a stag party down in Dunedin this weekend stopped at Timaru for a 2 hour hunt and leg stretch this is what popped out of the ground.

$2.20 in spendies, one American clad quarter (1998), 1928 British penny, 1934 New Zealand half crown ( first nz half crown and I kissed georgie in the face with my trowel, well #*¢©).
And two nz 3d’s 1933 & 1946( both ends of silver coin timeline)

After a clean don’t hate me I know don’t clean them.

8 Likes

Way to go Cosmo. Great condition.

HH

1 Like

Thanks mate. Do you shoot black powder per chance?

No, just a full time detectorist who has a spot when the tide is right that gives up a lot of musketballs. Over 200 so far.

2 Likes

Nice I used to shoot with my old man a .58cal rifled flint lock and .45cal springfield percussion cap. Would shoot minis and round ball from flint lock and round ball in springfield, had a go with cap and ball revolver couldn’t hit nothing lol. Every now and then we would do some “sporting” hunting.

Got a mate who shoots blackpowder, and he calls them “FlinchLocks” - He’s not wrong, trying to hold your aim with a mini-Vesuvius going off next to your face!

I have no idea where my round went, we never found it.

Tip: If you ever get invited to fire a flintlock, aim about 3 foot low!

2 Likes

My old man was good with his could hit a 12 inch gong at 300/400 meters, what got me was the flight time BOOM wait wait… Dong lol.

Yeah, but the calibre just screams “MAIM” rather than kill. Got a few muskies in my collection (one of which when put in the machine at work gave a calcium trace - That’s bone, boys n girls!)

I’d rather be hit by a feeble Glock round.

Oh, and beaut half crown BTW :+1:

1 Like

Yes well during that period it was limb amputations at it’s finest here’s some whiskey and bite on this. I like .45acp for a pistol cartridge 9mm to poppie and .44 mag and .357 super not fun for all day shooting. Haven’t been out shooting for many years now. :sob:

Try shooting this thing - its one of my pig hunting guns that I use on my place now and again - an original Civil War 1863 Sharps - 70 grains of black powder throwing out 425 grains of lead.

It would be ok on ducks as well - F*** - pluck - cremate and all at the same time - if you can find the remains!

12 Likes

425grains…that’s about, wot? 30gram? I always thought Howitzers came on wheels… :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

That is nothing compared with my largest black powder gun but I cant shoot it now as it can spark off wicked migraines - my largest black powder gun is wicked. It is a shoulder fired whaling harpoon gun. I can only assume that if there were fifty crew on a whaling ship it would only get fired fifty times because no one would want to fire it with a full charge a second time.

Yes 425 grains is not too far from an ounce - 27.5395 grams to be exact.

3 Likes

Makes my 125gr arrow broadheads seem like paper doilies. :smiley:

3 Likes

Welldone on the finds. They came up really well after the clean!!

1 Like