Corromandel/Thames Gold

@Doon I find interesting the shaft they sank to access the vein just of waihi beach ,do you know ODf it.

1 Like

That’s pretty neat. I do have a map of exactly that reef plan too.
I don’t know much about waihi at all.
I have some information given to me by a fellow enthusiast.
The gold was so good in this part of the north because of all the geo thermal activity in the area.
Coromandel right through to waihi.
Was just a huge chunk of bedrock.
Constant thermals push the gold out. Melting it in places.
Still to this day. Those little honey holes are out there

1 Like

That Mine (treasure Island reef ) On the North Headland of Waihi Beach came to nothing. Didn’t help that they breached a fracture in the country rock that allowed sea water to flood in & flood the lower workings. The shaft was filled in years ago but the mullock dump complete with quite a bit of quartz is easily found if you rummage through the bush. That adit at the bottom is still accessible. Doesnt go in very far though, as it shows on the map. There are numerous adits further around the headland. I have spent many a time exploring them & spent many a time fishing off the rocks around the headland.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

That’s awesome mate.
I must check them out…Right up my alley :grin::call_me_hand:

What sort of gold is that, quite porus looking. Don’t have fine scales so no idea of the weight but nevertheless a pleasant surprise in the pan after work.

3 Likes

Heat has done that to the gold. Thermals.
Found pieces like that too. Very corse.
Hasn’t travelled far either by the looks…
Highly likely come from a vein.
Nice work!

Nice! I found a small piece many years ago panning outside of an adit at Macedon, it was like a starburst. Figured it was close to the source as the tiny spikes weren’t worn, but they were also using the cyanide procedure up there so don’t know whether that affects it?

Kmow there are a few shafts at north end of waihi beach but never had a map.more info always good

Brendon, heading over to Whiti tomorrow arvo, wives want to shop, me and a lad have 3hr to kill, any off chance of demo on that sluice, somewhere close?

Hi the Soutz. There is just the one shaft. The rest are adits, or mine drives. Big difference. A shaft goes down vertically & a mine drive, or adit, goes in horizontally. You can fall down a shaft but cant fall down an adit.

2 Likes

Anyone familiar with nzpam symbols?? The 2 red exclamation marks in particular…in the coromandel peninsular. Maybe a
warning of old shafts in area. I’m planning on an expedition into the area after some research. Cheers
JR

A red line is usually an indication of a quartz reef but that is unusual as they are generally parallel if close together. Unless there has been a radical shift in land movement. The dot could indicate a mine drive into or along the reef or shaft as you suggest or maybe surface trenching. I am just guessing here. I don’t suppose you want to give the location away? The dark dotted lines are obviously tracks or rough road access.

1 Like

I transposed the red lines onto a nz 50 topo map but they dont seem to relate to anything. Neither do the dotted lines. The nzpam mineral maps …i dont seem to be able to relate them to topo features and there doesnt appear to be an overlay capability on their website. I Could be wrong. Cheers
JR

Hi, NZPAM get that data from GNS science. Try check out the same area on this site: GNS Science - Geology Web Map Client
Then click on the exclamation symbol and see if an information window pops up (it does for most geological features)
Good luck

1 Like

Thanks for that info. I’ll give it a whirl.
JR

It’s the symbol for dikes.

You mean as in dam. Not the other variety i guess?
They would be used for sluicing presumably or in a stamping process? Please explain. Cheers

Hey there Doon
I just arrived at doc wentworth. Nice spot! Is it worth a pan in the creek, maybe you can recommend a side creek if its not a secret! Cheers
JR

In geology terms a dyke/dike is an intrusion or sedimentary of igneous rock cutting across existing strata. A dyke being a foreign body of rock in the general country rock. An igneous dyke is usually forced through under pressure in weaknesses in the country rock. Like fault zone cracks.

1 Like

Hell I know a few dykes but you dont need to force them under pressure!

1 Like