Claim Finder 5000

Hi all.
Heading to the coast this weekend and looking for a claim to swing the detector.
Would be vastly indebted to you, willing to offer a % of finds

Luke

There’s like 10 public fossicking areas on the west coast to chose from

3 Likes

Moonlight Creek seems like a good option, will hunt around though. Thanks

Been a few years since I’ve been there, but Moonlight is definitely metal detector friendly. Looks of good exposed bedrock in places and I remember detecting a few small bits in a fresh slip face. Best of luck in there :slight_smile:

The place is cleaned out… nothing but nails and bullets. In greymouth now, heading to hoki…

That’s why if the fossicking areas up the north island get the go ahead,we are asking PAMNZ to include no MDing in those areas won’t take long to clean those areas out if they ain’t already .

In my experience that’s not the case… Each flood uncovers new material, the fossicking areas are always getting stirred around and new gold getting exposed. Especially so on the west coast.

Up here(coromandel) the only (main)source is the quartz veins most of the gold in them is micro,as to why the old timers up here had trouble recovering it, any gold in streams up here is hard to finds or in very little quantities if it is found, yep you may get a few bits washing down from the hills and. specimens can be found but you really have to look for them, anyway JW and Les1 probably cleaned it all out many years ago when they lived up here.( joke).

1 Like

Hi Gavin, you sure it was a fresh slip face & not caused by explosives :wink: I love the moonlight but like you I haven’t been there for a couple of years. Probably three years.

Good luck out there

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

Oh, how playing with explosives could so up my game! :stuck_out_tongue:

The explosives thing was a real event a few years back & apparently the guys who were involved got busted & ended up doing time. I detected some gold from the exposed material & bedrock. It was up quite a bit higher than the river on a terrace.

Good luck out there

I was doing possum control work on the greymouth end of the paparoas and remember the mysterious bangs well , thought it was roa but read in the paper it wasnt

The bastard thing about detecting there was the bits of copper wire from the electrical detonator wires. They moved a bit of ground , that is for sure. Thanks guys.

You’re absolutely correct, I spent four days on the west coast and didn’t even see a flake.
Suprise, suprise, turns out I knew nothing about gold!