Paydirt Home Locations Permit Map Equipment & Services Gold Price Old Forum Archive Donate Search

Cheapest gold metal detector?

Just wondering if some people on here can recommend the cheapest gold finding metal detector? Even if it is more of a coin/relic machine.
Ideally it would be rainproof to some extent.
And relatively easy to operate.

2 Likes

gday mate i can get you in a Makro gold racer if you like…very cheap and very capable machines!

1 Like

A fifty bucker off TM is bound to find something…

Shady as

How hardy do you think they are? I guess I could just give a few of the El Cheapo trademe/ebay machines a shot.

Was merely joking around GP. :laughing:
Would be wasting your time there me thinks. They would pick up a nuggett close to the surface but cant see them pickin up pickers deeper than six inches.
Ive had a go with one or two and they are frustrating to use to say the least. Some have six batteries which is another pain.
I dont think they are very hardy at all.
That Macro GOLD racer from Atandy sounds the go.

1 Like

No, I want el cheapos.
They look okay, not for any professional detecting at all. Only concern is rain proofing. Most have water proof coil.
I’m prepared to spend up to $180 :grinning:
I might just get one of each first, too test usability, hardiness, battery life etc.
Some require two 9v batt, but I gather that would give a whole days detecting.

Did you get one? You can make your own with a bit of skill

Thanks. I’ve done a fair bit of research on pointer construction.
I just wanted some dirt cheap gold detectors for experimentation & testing.
In the future after I’ve tharashed and had to repair El Cheapo, making my own cheap detector is definitely a good idea that I’ll keep in mind.

Hey GoldPandemic - the little Tesoro Compadres and fantastic on micro Gold - Wont be too good on highly mineralized ground but are super sensitive in finding small Gold - Hope this helps

1 Like

wow, they do look impressive.

they are very well build (can take the knocks)

great Discrimination & as I said … fantastic on small gold

there is one on trademe now however it has the bigger 8" coil -

I can get hold of some very good Chinese units (yes they do have the odd one lol) but the frequency is not suited to small gold - 7khz -

keep us posted man & also check out a few US forums or ebay - you can usually get them for around $100usd + shipping