Barrington's Lost Gold

When the walnut stock of the McCarthy shotgun touched Captain Elch­old’s cheek the fate of yet another pigeon seemed inevit­able. With the precision of a gun turret he tracked the bird across the sky and was about to pull the trig­ger. Suddenly, he stopped. The pi­geon crash-landed into the mop of a miro tree, but Elchold’s attention was now elsewhere. He lowered his weapon, watching in disbelief.

4 Likes

Thanks for that - yes I did know of this story but not the name Barrington - the gold may indeed be true - or may not. perhaps one day someone will stumble on it and thus prove its existence.
As for the shotgun - it would not have been a McCarthy shotgun but in all probability it was made by Fred Williams but for now I leave the reader to ponder why I state that fact!

Hey cheers Gav. What a thoroughly epic and enjoyable read. One of the big things that got me into having a pan is the thought of the life the old timers lived. I tell ya they don’t make em like that these days haha. Seriously tough lads. Cheers for the post!

Dang it! You had to let that secret out.
I was still planning on having a look for it, the red hills are a barren area - not a bad detecting site.
Though I bet the Keas got to the gold.

North & South Magazine had a great article on it - awesome maps and they walked in there folowing the original routes and some wussy detectorist had a go - then gave up because it was too cold.
(yah gotta market those concrete pills Gavin)
Barrington and many other original explorers of the South Island are fantastic stories.

Here is a great series First Crossings
http://tvnz.co.nz/first-crossings/index-group-4941278

Thanks Gavin, love those old timers story’s.
Keep them coming.