AT Pro vs AT Gold?

Hi all new member/poster

Ive always loved the AT Pro as I’m slightly addicted to all the great YouTube clips out there and it seems to be the detector of choice.
I am looking get back into detecting (first atempt was short lived as the ex always nagged when ever I wanted to go out) I had a AT Pro and was looking to get another is it worth getting the AT Gold or even something else? I will mostly be beach detecting but I hear the AT doesn’t perform well in wet sand tho?

The ATP can be made to work on wet beaches, but if there’s a scale with “Switch on and swing Auto” at one end, wet salty sand is about as far the other way as you can go. Doable, but you need to GB often, and accept it will chatter away to itself constantly - targets come through clear though.

Have to say, if you’re going to be doing mostly beaches, hunt around for a better machine unless you love the ATP (as do I)
And stay with the stock coil.

They’ve just released a new model ATPro by the way… I’ll leave you to make your own opinion on whether it’s a worthwhile upgrade to the classic :grin:.

Welcome back to the Dark Side!

Kate

If your beach detecting i would stick with the ATPro as it has the larger coil. Larger coils cover more ground quickly and go deeper of coarse.
Happy hunting.

EDIT: Re-reading Shanes post, I see he was probably referring to the stock coil being larger than his Ace(?). I initially thought he was referring to a larger after-market coil. I’ll leave this post as is, as it may help somene else looking to scrub the beaches with an AT Pro.

It's a double-edged sword though.  Yes a larger area, although it means a) a lot more information for the electronics to process - Including salt/mineralisation chatter, which means a slower swing, and b) More targets under the coil, which could lead to iron/junk masking something better.  As for depth, you really only gain another 30% over the stock coil. 
Which is why I recommend sticking with the stock coil - Plus the machine has been designed/tuned for that. Third party coils may not 'fit' as well, electronically speaking.

I have a huge 15" NEL, but only have two or three beaches I can run it on, due to a lot of variation in mineralisation. Also have the small 6x8 - which is too small for beaches, except rummaging around the base of jetties and seawalls etc.

Stock coil generally stays on the machine for my beach hunts.

It's a great machine.

Kate.

The AT Gold wouldn’t be suitable for beaches anyway - Too hot.

Thanks guys so sounds like AT Pro is still a good machine now I just need to find one for sale and maybe get a few tips on setup or even better if there is any meet ups in my area and get out there!!!

Might as well buy an Ace 350 (now called a Euro Ace) - less hassle. They are the ultimate Garrett machine other than the Ace 250 which is the better. The 350 has the bigger coil so it is better on the beach.

Hi Honest
Would like a good all around ATX with all three coils
is good on wet sand black sand
For Sale , Cheers Robbie

Garrett Ace 350.
:beers:

Two days ago I e-mailed Garrett NZ regarding which machine to buy - the AT Pro or the AT Gold as like you I will be doing a lot of beach (black sand) detecting.

Here is their reply:

The AT Pro would be your best option if you are on wet/damp sand and salt water at the beach. The AT Gold is best suited to inland and freshwater. The AT Gold is optimised for finding Gold above all metals but the AT Pro is the best all round detector for the ground conditions you will be in and will still locate Gold as well as other metals.

Regards
Mike Radford | Tactical Solutions | Garrett New Zealand
T: 64 9 477 2800 | F: 64 9 4772801 | D: 64 9 4772807 | M: 64 21 476969
W: www.tactical.co.nz | www.garrettnewzealand.co.nz | E: mike@tactical.co.nz

Hope this will be of some help for you.

Sue

1 Like

I’m fairly sure the pro and 350 run the same size DD coil. About 10.5 inches.

Yeah, sounds like they’re about the same size. Great coils - Can’t beat them!

1 Like

Perhaps the AT MAX might be a better option for beach hunting - ??

1 Like

I have seen thats coming into new Zealand i thought it was just the AT Pro with wireless headphones?

The AT Pro
Highly Recommended - Coin Hunting, Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting, Cache Hunting, Prospecting, Ghost Town Hunting, Competition Events, Beach/Fresh Water Hunting.
15 kHz frequency: improved detection of small targets, gold nuggets, jewelry

The AT Max
Highly Recommended - Coin, Jewelry, Cache Hunting, Relic Hunting, Organized Hunts and Water Hunting.
13.6 kHz operating frequency provides excellent detection on a wide range of targets—including silver coins, gold jewelry, and brass relics.