Anyone know where Cobra is?

Apparently it’s near Roaring Lion River, Nelson

is the spelling right???

I guess. The name was just in an old newspaper. It’s a shame Roaring Lion is so long.
I know there is Mt Cobb - maybe that is the area they’re refering to.

done a heap of research through all my old books not just nelson but the south island . cant find any reference to cobra. even looked on some very old maps of the area of the roaring loin nothing again. the roaring loin river is quite long with very few side creeks with names , due to the isolation of the area.
I will keep looking as there is a great book in our local library. now out of print and its not allowed to be taken out

Thanks heaps. Funny thing is - nothing to do with gold, even though there is gold in the area.

Now THAT’S a mispell! :smile:
If the Cobra is anywhere - it will be near the Roaring Loin!

1 Like

Goldpandemic
Any good to you?

Roaring Lion: On the Roaring Lion River, just to the east of the Karamea Batholith,
stockworks of quartz-orthoclase-molybdenite veins occur in metasedimentary rocks in three
separate areas - the Discovery, Cobra and Grace prospects - discovered by Kennecott
geologists in 1971 and 1972 (Foster 1971b; Turbott 1972a, 1972b, 1972c; Hay 1980a, 1981).
The country rocks of Ordovician sandstone, siltstone and quartzite of the Aorere Group are
hornfelsed and intruded by small stocks of fine grained granodiorite. The quartz veining is
controlled by pre-mineral joint sets, probably related to regional folding.
Discovery Prospect (M26/e516) covers an area of 1.5 km x 1 km (defined by the 10 ppm Mo
in rock isopleth) within a larger area of low topography and few exposures (Walker 1982).
Molybdenum assays range from 2 to 474 ppm Mo, but there is “no obvious centre or target”
(Roberts 1989). Molybdenite and pyrite are present in quartz veins.
At Cobra (M26/e515), the 10 ppm Mo in rock isopleth defines an area of 1 km x 0.9 km. The
best stockwork veining is on Cobra Face (Figure 92), a quartzite dip slope where areas of
10% veining are common. Individual veins range up to 30 cm thick, but generally they are
less than 1.25 cm thick (Foster 1971b). Molybdenite is accompanied by minor pyrite and rare
chalcopyrite, with local traces of galena, sphalerite, magnetite and pyrrhotite. Three diamond
drillholes totalling 820 m were drilled by Amoco and BP into the metasediments at Cobra, but
failed to intercept intrusive rocks (Hay 1980b; Christie 1982; Roberts 1983). They yielded a
best assay result of 790 ppm Mo over 5 m.

Hope this helps and yes it took me thirty minutes of reading through 125 pages to get to it!

Here is the reference for you…noted a photograph that Keith might be able to locate on the ground.

http://www.wcrc.govt.nz/Documents/Environmental%20Management/Mineral%20Resource%20Assessment%202010.pdf

1 Like

Wo, lot of info there, left me head spinnin. Ha ha.

My heads always spinning spinning spinning spinning spinning spinning.

Legend. Great to have you around, and hope you’ll be here for a long time yet.

Cheers Kiwikeith also, you’re another very knowlegeable bloke.

1 Like