Any north island sites to have a look at?

Where in the north island is producing hits?

Hits off what??

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

Gold deposits sorry I am a newbie, surely there are deposits up here!

Dont youa da contacta da mafia fora da hits? Bugsie doa da hits!

Oh…Ok. Yes…gold. Coromandel Peninsula. Surely you’ve heard a bit of history of gold being found there. https://archives.govt.nz/discover-our-stories/goldmining-in-the-coromandel

Lol ok will keep you posted have a few historical spots to check out.

1 Like

I am jealous - always wanted to really look closely at the North Island sites. Hope you find somewhere to go and have some success. I was up there a while back trying to get mineral samples but never found what I wanted.

Hi Graeme, what were you wanting??

There are some wonderful mineral specimens which were found in the mines and I was trying to find larger pieces for my collection but never did. I saw two beautiful specimens but not sure what they were and they were owned by the girl in the shop at the old Thames School of Mines shop. She had got them from an 80 year old apparently. She hinted at a value and i now wish I had pushed the issue as I think she would have sold. I did buy a colossal pice of rock (25kg) from the Tui mine but lightened it up by removing maybe 25 percent of the bulk mostly being the matrix on which the Galena lay. Basically it is a large piece of galena.
The rocks the girl had were about 1kg pieces and one had amazing crystals in it.

1 Like

I have always had an interest in “pretty” looking rocks ever since being a young tacker. I was like a magpie. I had shelves in my bedroom lined with them. My father worked for Fletchers & Fletchers must of had something to do with the reopening of the Tui Mine back in the 70’s. He told someone down there that his son was into rocks. He came back home, Auckland, after a few days of being down there with a large wooden box of Galena ore. I was blown away. I would have been 13-14 at the time & they were my prized possessions of all I had. Going ahead a few years, after leaving school & finishing a building apprenticeship I went overseas for 3 years. In that time mum & dad sold the family home & bought a smaller 3 bedroom home on a half section. Long story short. They threw out all my rock collection & most of my life memorabilia. I was fu#ken gutted but it was done & I couldn’t do much about it after the fact. Their excuse, “Well you weren’t here”. WTF… :rage:

2 Likes