Paydirt Home Locations Permit Map Equipment & Services Gold Price Old Forum Archive Donate Search

Any gold mining history up the Copland River?

I’m heading up to Welcome Flat Hut and wonder if it’s worth carting my detector in for a wee swing. Can’t find any history of gold mining up that river, but maybe someone else knows a bit of info?

I did ask 7 years ago for a trip that never happened, but no-one managed to supply any solid info at that time - http://www.paydirt.co.nz/forums/yaf_postst1346_Copland-Track---worth-taking-the-detector.aspx

Thanks in advance for any info! :wink:

Having been up past Douglas rock hut. I would say leave it at home. The river is pretty steep sided and you have to walk about 2 hours before the trail follows the river where you can get close without a bush bash to a cliff. My guess is the car park area would be worth a look but it’s pretty deep gravels without a hike in the wrong direction to find bed rock. Someone else might know a bit more about the gold possibilities, but I think your already getting to the east side of the fault.

The car park is usually safe if you don’t take it all the way. Or at least I have never had a problem.

Cheers for that, much appreciated. May just wander in with a lighter pack and enjoy the hot pools then :slight_smile:

I must admit I was looking at any photos I could find online and noticed I was only seeing a rocky river, no snaps of bedrock anywhere.