Alan Hamilton (Hammy)

RIP Hammy… Prospecting legend and a good bloke

https://deaths.southlandtimes.co.nz/nz/obituaries/southland-times-nz/name/william-hamilton-obituary?pid=202147965

4 Likes

That is sad indeed. I meet & spoke with “Hammy” a few times. I now know why he has been on my mind in the last week. I was unaware of his passing. He truley was a friend to all who meet him. My last meeting of him he said to me, “Don’t be a stranger… come around home.” He loved talking gold, & that was fine by me.
Sadly I won’t be here on the 13th, going up north this weekend.

RIP my friend.

JW :cry:

2 Likes

Thats sad. His book is marvellous and a great read. He knew my uncle well and I believe that due to my Uncles successes in the Arrow over sixty years ago Allan Hamilton was inspired and of course became a legend with his gold fossicking.
Never met him but wanted to.

3 Likes

I’ve read his book. He was a legend in gold mining circles. RIP

2 Likes

I have the book great read sad to hear , I to wanted to meet him, saw him in the cromwell supermarket talking to someone waited patiently but they yarned for ages and i was pushed for time so never met Allan must get his other book as im a keen hunter to… R.I.P Allan

3 Likes

His book is very good indeed - I have a signed copy - given to me for my burpday or Christmas by my son.

2 Likes

My father and I were lucky enough to meet Hammy in the back country about 15 years ago. He and his daughter were on the riverbank, with son in-law working the suitcase dredge. They were trying to uncover a half-worked crevice that the big '99 flood buried.
‘Hammy’s Gold’ is a beautiful slice of local history. It fuels the fever too!

Madgoldnz, was that up the richburn? Hammy and others must’ve hit it hard up there in the day with suitcase dredging. I did some dredging in a couple spots in recent times near macetown. Only found dust. Was very surprised. Usually always the odd little flake about. It’ll still be there somewhere. Hammys lost golden crevice included.

I always made sure i shook his hand… really fellt a tangible link to the old timers…i imagined how much au passed through his worn sun browned hands and the tales he could tell. Was good to see him in arrowtown last year…watched him wander off…thought he was comming back…forgot to say goodbye. See you later mate.

3 Likes