7 tips on how to ethically fossick for greenstone

3 Likes

Interesting - Thanks for sharing Gavin. I note that it states fossick for pebbles and stones on the beach only - that makes me wonder what happens if you find it in the river? Is the article misleading or are the public only allowed to look for it on the beach?
Can registered Ngai Tahu tribal members look for it in the rivers if the public cannot? I find that interesting and somewhat of a paradox because some Ngai Tahu members I know are 1/64th Maori and their kids will be 1/128th. Does that mean that someone who is 1/128th part Maori has a preferential right over someone who cannot trace back to a Ngai Tahu ancestor?
To me that is sort of unfair.

I always understood that you can take it from the river not just the beach but only as much as u can carry.

1 Like

Challenge accepted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also interesting it mentions milford sound which is part of the national park , im thinking the article is inaccurate .

not sure what raw greenstone actually looks like unpolished, but Iā€™ve been told that this lump is possibly jade and the brown rock could also be jade? Covered in pick marks.

1 Like

Iā€™d guess that the fact itā€™s a) covered in pick strikes, and b) still thereā€¦it may not be Jade :smile:

True, most probably folklore most locals swear itā€™s nephrite. If you ever saw where it was though youā€™d probably question it, itā€™s quite a long way up a river and surrounded by old overhang crevice encampments probably from Chinese miners or before.
Personally I donā€™t care, Iā€™d rather the shiny yellow stuff underneath it

Little birdie told me guys have been diving for Jade under the Jackson bay wharf recentlyā€¦apparently many moons ago they used to stack it on the wharf ready to load on a boat and some just fell off into the seaā€¦but you didnā€™t hear it from meā€¦lol

1 Like