This Weekends finds from Otago

I like that half crown - I always used to get a kick out of finding them.

1 Like

HI LL
Yep I agree they make a great high tone and look amazing when you dig them up

nice haul dude love the sliver

HI all
Inspired by Roy I got in a quick mid week hunt after work and heres the finds - $10 in spendies, a '45 penny a '34 shilling a Chilean coin and a couple of buttons and key.
Not sure what the little hex thing is - any ideas??
Cheers and HH

3 Likes

shilling looks good,hex thing looks as if it had some silver guilding on so it must have been on show.

Hi Roy
yep that s what I thought but can’t picture what it may have been??

I think the Hex thing is a Hex Fishing Wobbler. These have been around as many years as I can remember. I used them for Salmon and we still have hundreds of new ones - my father has a horde of them - hes 94 and still going fishing…and shooting!

Some come with rounded sides such as the one you found so the photos on the refence I have shown actually show the true Hex wobblers but we also have the type you found. You one is made from Round brass rod while the catalogue ones are made from Hexagonal brass rod

They originally came in different sizes for different uses - trout in small streams through to Salmon in the sea andmajor river mouths and they also came in Brass polished, Brass silvered (chrome plating) or Brass black enamelled paint but nowdays they give them fancy enamelled finishes although you can still get the plain ones - which I go for every time…I found that the plain ones work best - I long since came to the conclusion that when a Salmon saw a plain silver one go past he/she thought to itself ‘Shit its a feed’ and went for it - but when they saw the fancy enamelled ones they thought ‘Fuck whats that?’ and left it alone!

In any case I would say that you found a long defunct fishing wobbler!

1 Like

dont you just hate it when you become a defunct fishing wobbler…

You speak for yourself - I might be an old fishing wobbler but I aint defunt yet!

2 Likes

ive been a wobbler for a while.

1 Like

I love those antique lead nail heads :+1:

Yep something for everyone LOL

This weekends silvers and some more lead
This weekends finds included the usual tear tabs rusty bottle tops and a lot of 1 and 2 cent pieces plus 5 pennies 1912 -1955, 2 half pennies (1 NZ and 1 Aussie) a 1940 thrup, a 42 sixpence, a 35 shilling, and a 34 half crown and 2 silver rings 1 marked stirling and one 925 and a pretty cool lead toy that looks to be an armoured car?? - no lead head nails this time though ; )

5 Likes

Just love that Armoured Car fisher-man. Might be worth researching it a bit more.
Well done

HH

1 Like

great haul lots of silver very nice

That armoured car looks suspiciously like a Russian Nakashidze Charron, one of the first Russian armoured cars. WW1 era

great finds pick of the bunch has to be the armoured car definatly ww1 thats a cool relic.

I can’t see the scale of it or whether it is 2 or 3 dimensions, but a number of tank and armoured car regiments had badges, at least in WW1, could that be it?
Nice find.

Hi Mahoy
Thanks but it’s definitely a lead toy on a base and thin but still cast with full detail on both sides and the wheels slightly offset. Can’t see any brand or stamps on it though?
Cheers

1 Like

The Armoured car could be a Vintage Lead Auto Blindee Armoured Car - you definitely got yourself a prize there.

3 Likes