ORC draft rules are out - bad news for suction dredging

Under the permitted activities it is stated that all suction dredging will require a consent.

1 Like

Is this written down as permanent law now or still draft?

1 Like

Did the 50k we all raised get used to fight this ?

2 Likes

The new water plan is currently intended for notification on 30 june. We dont know what the rules will be changed but i doubtut, so come 1 july consent is likely to be required and any existing permitted activity will require consent within 6months.

A number of freshwater ecologists in the area have been approached and was keen to do the work. But when told it will be used in a submission to orc they backed away as orc gives them work. Pritch and i have approached a solid ecologist who is keen. She went out of town, is back and delaying signing up. She has a week or we go elsewhere.

Pritch has done the hard yards and is dtiving this. Our initial thoughts are we do pre and post mining ecological assessments in a medium and smaller watercourse thats representitive of otago.

Will update as we can. No doubt pritch will have more to add…

6 Likes

Excuse my ignorance, but what will be involved in the consent process? Will it be a matter of application and cost? Is it consent from council, Iwi? We have 7 years left on our current claim before we need to renew. Does it mean we will have to stop all dredging until we get consent? Apoligies for my ignorance. I have been following this but find it all a bit confusing.
Cheers and thanks for all the work you guys have been putting into it!

2 Likes

We haven’t quite raised 50k as you can see. There were some $ that got deducted by the givealittle organisation, but you can be rest assured that the money we have in our coffers will be used wisely now that we know the draft plan and what we’re up against. Good things just take a while. There was no reason to spend any money before the draft came out.

1 Like

Hi Matt, this is still a draft and something we have to challenge.

1 Like

Thanks, the last ORC meeting I went to had a kia tahu solicitor present, her idea of goo mining ecological practice was if mining stayed in the faster moving currents at the center of the river. Just letting you know what were up against.

1 Like