Metal Detecting Misadventures

Spent a couple of hours out the other day.
Copper, sinker, copper pipe as sinker, and perhaps my first knife (fishing not a weapon, I hope).
Wasn’t even going to make a post. But, I was cleaning some rocks up (I collect interesting samples) and in the bottom of my bucket I found 2 gold flakes!!
I’d just washed my bucket out and there was a small amount of sand left and the only reason I noticed was due to the sun being out and at the right angle to shine in there. They were at the top out of the wash.
Under a microscope they are hexagonal.
Also had a bit of silver, but that wouldn’t be silver, so you know what it is! However I managed to lose that - very statically charged.

Soon as I can I’ll be going back for some more mud to process. Nothing to get rich off, but gold fever is fun. :grinning:

4 Likes

keep swingin…everything comes to those who wait.

1 Like

Was going to have a detect today but rain came, tide was coming in, and it was getting late - but I got some mud to test :smile:
Hope I have an update soon. Might detect tomorrow.

1 Like

Had to go out, so made a day of detecting.

Hit two 1800’s spots, first was a dud tide was in. Second gave me the loot.
Too knackered to post pix of my junk.

Lead, ancient pistol bullet, 5c, two spendable 10c, & some brass…

Sparkplug is high performance; contact end is made of Platinum Group metal, pretty stoked!
Then I dug this from deep in the ground!

Finally got my first predecimals, both Sixpences. 1952 King George, 1959.

And silver toe ring! No markings other than the engraved pattern (embosed from inside). Maori design? Its about 1mm thin!

Dunno how I didn’t destroy my finds with my mattock today, really need a small tool for picking at cracks in bedrock.

Beautiful day, felt like summer.

7 Likes

looks nice in that bay perfect for a swim and loosing rings and other stuff,get the conditions right and you are bound to score…

1 Like

I want to go back ASAP, but so busy right now, we’ll see…

1 Like

If only we got paid to do our hobby, pesky work.

1 Like

That bay looks very familiar

1 Like

I thought that bit of steel might be a bayonette - wishful thinking.

This was just the clean up of my rubbish from the last hunt, stainless steel washer really got me going lol, 1952 Thrupence :hugs:

1 Like

Managed to get a few hours in after work today… finally! Back at my new favourite spot.

Only got a bit of lead / tin, interesting copper button or something.

1 Like

looks like a thimble you got there

No, its just a copper plate unfortunately.

1 Like

The copper ‘something’ isnt the copper washer from the old time copper rivets is it - you put the rivet - some up to well over an inch, through what ever you were rivetting then placed the copper washer over the slight taper on the end then peen it in place.

3 Likes

Lammerlaw’s onto it, they’re nail roves, second only to 1 & 2c pieces for dashed hopes when you finally see them.

Is that you on the beach, or was it really that crowded :grin:

1 Like

Well it’s not me… I had the pleasure of heading south first stop Omaha beach huge cut in front of the surf club and then to the ww2 camp. This is a quote from my missus " there is no $#@& way your taking the detector" :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

@Lammerlaw thanks
I do like the one that hadn’t corroded away.

Kinda was hoping I’d snapped Chris there. The guy kept his distance from my spot. I think he’ll be lucky to find something on those muddy flats.

Had a lady ask me if I watch the Detectorists :smile:
Some kids ask if I’d seen their octopus!
And some hoons tell me I would have better luck at a park!!

2 Likes

I don’t really detect there much there was a guy in the same spot yesterday

Well, if it wasn’t you, me or Chris…There’s another one in the area? This hobby is becoming too normalised, Personally I blame “The Detectorists” and all its feel-good propaganda :laughing:

• I lifted a wee kiddybling alloy octopus charm down that way a while ago. 'Smine now! :octopus: :crazy_face:

:rofl: I get the feeling you spend your days cruising the patch - You’ve managed to ping me every time I’ve jumped the fence :smirk:

1 Like

Farm detect got me that steel thing at top - wood hole punch?
Rest were from (non detecting walk) on side of road:
4 gloves - I’ll NEVER run out of detecting gloves now!! :+1:
Galaxy J3 Pro, + case & credit card. charged a bit, but has been in rain & a drain :sob: Not easy to open. I’ll try charging again after drying the internal organs.
Sweet little stainless bottle opener & strange drill bit.
No coins in the kids purse :weary:

1 Like

Looks like a tradies van must’ve gone off the road by that collection (except the lunch money) :laughing:
Those Ansell gloves are pretty good for detecting - second only to Black Bulls in my opinion.
At least you found some diamonds :sunglasses: