Metal Detecting Misadventures

It was a 20km walk, took 4hours each way :sweat: (40km all up).
Best places are outside of sharp bends or bridges as they often have a concrete slab which gives a little bump to the tradies utes :hugs:
Was having a close look at the diamond saw today & I can actually see the yellow little beasties! They’re only 1mm, I wonder if there are smaller ones embedded in there.
Might repurpose it as a sanding block, or make a dremel bit or something from it.

looks like a profitable walk i just paid 12 bucks for some gloves,they dont seem to last long

1 Like

Years ago I had chain mail gloves that came from the freezing works - they were ace. I wore them over rubber ones.

2 Likes

YES :heart_eyes:
Hmm, lets see if I have some stainless steel wire some where…

Stainless mesh gloves might make it hard to run handfulls of stuff over the coil eh?? LOL

1 Like

True! I am old fashioned I guess and was thinking more form the point of view of gold dredging because in the 1980s gold dredging I wore them…yes for detectors impractical - me bad!

@GoldPandemic Why not mount the blade and use it for slicing rock specimens? I picked up an old tile cutter saw for $10 at the local second hand place, works a treat.

1 Like

Yep that is a finicky issue :grimacing:

@Mudwiggle
Most of my rocks are quite small, I’ve got some dremel diamond cutters that work well & cheap as chips.
I’ll consider that for the future though.

Recently got some native copper - nearly invisible, but I’m on the right path.

Weather was looking nice, so I went for a spontaneous hunt.
Tide was coming in though, strong wind, and the odd shower :fearful:
Few bits of lead and junk here and there.
Found an iPhone SE washed up, the cases float :hugs: Screen is mint, had a protector.

1 Like

Bit of gold to extract amazing what you can from electronics

Yep, the darn thing must have been floating around for awhile - full of sand :frowning:
Even the simcard is rusted in place!
Gold contacts haven’t corroded though :+1:

1 Like

Worth a crack :rofl:
AppleCare - Check your cover

Just some of the other scraps I found that day.

Round bit of lead fliped up - looks like a bullet to me. And my ball bearing? @chris

Found a picture gold mine today completely by accident. Only have a rough idea of location, twin shafts - this warrants some more investigating :hugs:

2 Likes

I’m no expert on projectiles but does look like a .22 this is one I found on the sand spit

I suppose if you weigh it someone will say yay or ns

2 Likes

Oh darn, oh well they look nice.
Got mine from Whangamumu Bay on rocky corner near rock island. Close enough to be brothers - perhaps someone was shooting at the shore from a boat aye…

Now thats a spot I would love to explore.

Diameter of base will be more accurate because although a standard .22 projectile is about 40 grains there were different weights.

Never found any old coins there but after a decent down pour alot of 70,s /80,s wash out but there is a spot that appears in certain conditions that will hold the gold :roll_eyes: it traps the coins and lead bloody hard to dig through

1 Like