England’s largest gold nugget found in Shropshire with faulty metal detector

I guess it may be worth more as gold nuggets are a bit rarer in the UK?!

5 Likes

Ridiculously over priced FFS… No wonder it didn’t sell.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Damn, that kills my retirement plan… I was going to take my gold to the UK, pretend I found it there and boom, I’m rich.

2 Likes

I guess the English are better known for bigger things…

Shady…

Gold has a signature from different locations. It would be interesting to see that nugget assayed & the results compared to gold that was found in the said location.
Back here in NZ during the gold rush days the gold buyers developed a good eye for gold character & its purity from certain locations & often wouldn’t bother doing an assay & pay the miners out for there gold. It was also known that miners who were getting a lesser purity gold would travel to an area of higher purity & try to sell it to the gold buyer when he came through. Hoping to get that price. The gold of lesser purity would be of lighter shade of gold & if the gold buyer smelt a rat would do an assay & catch them out.
Another interesting fact along this same line is that When Glass Earth were alluvial mining at Drybread at the base of the Dunstan range in from Omakau. There was a suspicion that a husband & wife who were in charge of the gold recovery from the plant were helping themselves to some of the gold. They were busted selling the gold in Hokitika saying it was from that area. When an assay was done it was an exact match to the Drybread gold & different to the local Hoki gold.
Bit of trivia for you.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

LOL, all good - I know they can usually figure out where the source of gold is. Not something I’d try myself, but figured I bet someone would be tempted to try it if there’s crazy returns.

1 Like