A morning in the life of a detectorist

More details on this.

If I told you GP, I would probably come awfully down with nervous fever and no appetite.

Now you wouldn’t want that on your mind would you.

Cheers

Just love these low low tides.
Last couple of days results. Includes 18 caret with 7 diamonds. YES
And or petrol money. Down side is the 1.30am starts doing the beach but can cruise in the water up to my shoulder in the PM. (I don’t do water in the dark as I keep bumping into other live things which I.'m afraid may think me bait)

8 Likes

Found a nice hole blasted out of the sand by the storm on Tuesday.
5 rings = 3 x S/Silver + 2 junkers.
7 Musket Balls
2 Bullets .58. ! is a three ringer.

HH

7 Likes

Great finds. I dont know if the musket balls have been used as they have very pronounced Sprues. The projectile with the three grease grooves looks like .577and the other one looks like a .450/577 Martini Henry but may be wrong as they both look close to same diameter inphoto but one should be .577 incha nd the other .45 inch IF I am correct.

Thanks Lammerlaw

I have the same feeling about the Musketballs also. All have good sprues on them and very little wear and tear even though they must have been in the tide for 120 plus years. May have been part of ballast on wreak? who knows. Have about 200 of them now. Only turn up on certain tides about neck deep-Glug glug.

HH

1 Like

I dont know about ballast on a wreck but 200 makes for interesting consideration because if you find that number then what else is there I wonder…more detecting and maybe extend the area and who knows what you might find. People would not throw 200 musket balls away so obviously lost…now you need the gun. Almost like round pistol balls - the old pistol molds often cast both conicle and round bullets and many old molds cast either one or the other. Good luck and may a real great treasure be lurking there waiting for you.

1 Like

Is there a possible glint of gold in there?

Yes. 9ct 9.51 grams less a gm or two at most from stone. Whoever designed it put holes in it. (I feel short changed) HaHa.
Anyway thats my 50th gold ring out of a total of 334 rings. That gives us the follow.
14.97 percent of rings are gold.
Or 1 in 6.68 rings found are gold.
It takes me 26.55 hours of detecting to find a gold ring.

Hell I,m starting to sound like a Maths Teacher.

All the above aside, I can go for weeks and the odd month and not find any. But… I have found three in one day.

End result. No real pattern at all. As they say gold is where you find it.

HH

6 Likes

Congrats on the Gold.
Love those stats. :slight_smile:

MK

Nice ring alright well done

Thanks guys,

MK, sorry forgot to mention all were found using Minelabs CTX 3030 (almost as good as sex) and Excalibur 11.

Great gear = Great results

Hey do I get a free CPZ7000 for this endorsement from Minelab for my trip to Western Aussie next year?

Cheers

1 Like

When Minelab stop selling the GPZ I will see if one is spare for you or perhaps me MB.

Thanks MK
At least I’ve got my name down. In the meantime I guess I’m back to hiring one.

HH

1 Like

Another shiner this morning. 9ct x 9.66grams.

3 Likes

Nice. Quite heavy too.

MK

Finds over the last few days include a 9 ct white gold ring (in front) 2.9 grams with some spackles.
3 S/silver and junker. Plus a nice working discoloured Nixon watch.
She’s away so I can play = 2am starts. Love it.

HH and lots of HoHo’s

4 Likes

Good hunt I enjoy finding watches mine are always munted

1 Like

I agree! That watch is in better nick than mine! (And I quite like that gunmetal colour…)

1 Like

I hope it better than the clock in my car which is only right twice aday. nice pickings. I only get reobars and shit on our beach

Thank KK but I think my sand pit and yours are a bit different. Mind you your back yard would be hard to beat - may have to come and check it out sometime.

HH