A morning in the life of a detectorist

Opened my Xmas presents and there she was!!

Bugger, I can only hang her on the wall. Never mind thyere always next year.

5 Likes

Good start to the New Year. 1 x S/silver and a couple of those spinner ring. No marking on the gold looking one. But a nice lady asked me to find the ear ring shown and she’s just arrived to pick it up with two bottles of red wine. Made my day and hers.

HH

3 Likes

Most excellent dig. Haven’t been out in this New Year as yet but sussing some likely spots out. Anyway you are off to a great start to the new year, well done

Thanks X-TerraGold

Out at 4am again this morning. Just a old S/Silver ring, 3 Musket balls and a few coins. 15.5 hours so far this year.
Looking forward to this storm coming through !!

HH

Now I was out in the tide detecting a day or so ago and had been going a couple of hours and hadn’t even got a bottle cap. So I slipped the old grey matter into cruise control and as one often does, began day dreaming. This drifting off lead to me wondering about the weird and odd thing attached to metal detecting. The result of this deep thinking was the conclusion ( I am not normally a religious person) that we need a Patron Saint just for detectorist. Now before you put your hand up Lammerlaw it should be pointed out that to become a Saint you have to have performed miracle that were witness by others and you have also to have been dead for a very long time.

This way we could pray that the Government scale back mining claims, an understanding partner, your battery doesn’t go flat, your gear doesn’t crack up when you are hours from your car etc etc.
We could pray for forgiveness for coveting someone elses detector, luck, sluice, claim! The list could go on and on.
Maybe we could also have a confessional to unload our detecting sins and pray to Saint Det to mend our ways
Get the picture? Could we petition the Pope maybe.

Shortly after these deep and meaningful thoughts, I was brought back to the real world by a nice sound in my earphones which turned out to be a nice silver ring. For gold I think I must have to thing harder.

HH

A few rings from the last few days ( 1 x 9 caret)
20180118_120938|690x414](upload://hTkooUWqeR7XnMk3Iy3vPgODEx7.jpg)

1 Like

I try that photo again.

4 Likes

Woot! Great work.

After a while of silence I get anxiety that my coil has died, and begin swinging the spade at it to get a ping! :blush:

1 Like

That should read “the Government does not scale back mining claims”

Saint Anthony of Padua, Patron Saint of Lost Things

Saint Jude: Lost Causes and Desperate Cases

Saint Arnold: Beer…

Although St. Barbara, Patron Saint of all things that explode could be in the running.

2 Likes

I could of done with St Barbara the other day while digging live ammo out of the sand.

Does brain dead count - after all if I auditioned for the ‘Walking Dead’ I would invariably get the lead role! There is a Catlick church in new Zealand named after me so I could well be a living saint and I do remember my grandmother seeing something I did and she said “Oh my goodness Saints alive” or something along those lines so yes indeed I could well be a living saint…do saints say the ‘F’ word now and again?

1 Like

Ammunition? Did someone say ammunition? You never worry about ammunition unless it is BIG, fired from an artillery piece, not AP or Semi AP, and didnt go off, and then you only worry if it is HE…BUT…you really DO need to know the difference between Shrapnell and HE before you tinker because IF you do not know the difference and you DO actually manage to remove the grub screw that locks the fuse in place…and IF you do manage to remove the fuse you might be confronted with Lyddite, Ammonal or Amatol in which case you should have said your prayers before being stupid enough to tinker. IF you know the difference between an HE and a Schrapnel shell and you tinker with a Schrapnel shell and get the fuse off then dont drop a match down the inner tube to see whats there…otherwise you will be in line with a famous WWII German Fighter pilots autobiography title 'Heaven Next Stop’
In any case when you do find ammunition just remember meeeee.
Now to be seriarse - if you did find a large shell then DO NOT touch. I have the knowledge to know what is safe and what is not but for those who do not know they are a No No…a bit of a conundrum what ever that is (a nice word my mum once used to confuse me and it seems right in context here) because these things are dangerous and yet rendered safe, that is deactivated, they can be worth many hundreds of dollars to collectors, such as a British WWI 18lbr projectile which can sell for around the $350 mark. One which had been fired as was evident by the rifling marks sold at public auction about four years ago and I assume that EVERYONE assumed that it had been emptied after it had been recovered BUT when it was brought to me to be checked it still had the schrapnell balls and under them the charge to fire them…needless to say the ‘lucky bidder’ decided he didnt want it and parted with his investment.

2 Likes

Heaven’s forbid. Okay Lammerlaw you win. I will ask Mudwiggle nicely to have you name added to the list of Patron Saints for Detectorist. God only knows why. Saint Lammerlaw, now that would be a miracle but they tell me stranger thing have happened.

As for the ammo. My name is not Tinkerer but I have been called a lot of other names which I will not mention here. But I have tinkered a bit in my time and it depended on the subject matter as to how much I tinkered I tink.

HH

Mmmm…ancient sweaty HE
St. Lammerlaw I like it.

(Yeah, I know it’s not a bomb)
4 Likes

Best laugh I’ve had in a while. Not the sort of thing you do twice.

And it wasn’t me with the sledgehammer, I wear shorts.

I’d stand behind a tree and throw rocks at it!

3 Likes

Anyway back to the real work. Finds over last couple of days include a 9 ct pendant (a bit over 2 grams) and 4 sterling plus a chain.
Hell I have wore out another scoop so have ordered a new one from the Ukraine and my Gog headphones are not speaking to me as they should. Must be a loose wire in them somewhere so I have order a new set of Black Widow headphones from Texas.
Now I have the guilts so am heading out at 10pm tonight detecting and won’t be home until about midday tomorrow hopefully with some more goodie.
Have a set of Gray Ghost headphones for sale for a CTX3030. These are the waterproof ones. PM me if anyone is interested.

3 Likes

Pretty stuff. The pendant is very fancy.
I like the look of that adjustable band.
Are they all silver?

love your sense of humor , pity there is not more on this forum . every thing is so serious .
even when I try to liven it up not much happens I will try again for some fun tomorrow . follow west coast stories…

4 Likes