Quartz Reef or not?

I’ll try posting the right pic again! The above is actually the Moonlight Creek. Was up there a few months back.Found no colours anywhere i tried. An old timer was there too and he did no better. I may try again next summer. May need some help .
The next pic will be the right one hopefully.

I think what your looking at is snow drifts. To the right of your pic is potters. And having walked along the same area that seems to have a reef. I can promise you that there is no reef there. If you get a chance in the summer, head up there and look for yourself. The road from the shelter shed to potters can be a bit dodgy at times. And do not go if its gonna rain. The mud up there is like grease. A quad bike or good 4x4s in a team is your best bet to get in there. If your stuck there is no trees for miles to winch off. Bring wood as the hut hardly ever has anything to burn except garbage. If you go up let me know. My claim starts at nuggety gully and heads down Campbell’s creek and the waikaia. I may have time to show you around.

There is a really good set of old miners huts semi standing at the dog leg on Campbell’s. Watch the last YouTube video I posted. It gives you a few drone videos from up top.

Even if you just go up for the night, it is worth it. That area is like being on the moon. It is an amazingly beautiful place to go for a walk. Watch out for Spanish thistle and changing weather. You can be fogged in for days and with out a compass or GPS you will walk in circles until you die. Potters basin has been detected to death. Find the road to the grave and you might have better luck along it. Water races are hidden in the tussock. So watch your step if you head off road. Some are deep enough to swallow a quad bike.

2 Likes

Good info and advice there Goldstamp. The Lidar Maps now available to the general public may well be of use to aerial prospecting. I guess tail races and buried ancient waterways may stand out like dogs ball"s. The West Coast ones have just been added to the public domain. Not sure yet how to navigate the site. Looks a little complicated, but maybe I will delve into it at some stage. My days of wandering the hills are well past me.

Cheers Trev aka “The Hatter”

1 Like

Excellent info , thanks guys. I would love to have a look around that area , absolutely stunning scenery. I’ll take you up on that offer Goldstamp when I’m down next time. Hope to spend a couple of months exploring some of these places i read about. Maybe find a bit of the yellow too.

Permission

Note two different permit holders on Nuggety Creek and the Swinburn creek, reference Pay dirt webpage.

Interested in having a look at the double rapids area and at the 1383 contour spot Swinburn Creek not shown on the permit map a pick icon is shown on a topo map, and Campbell creek old river beds outside the permitted area.

Email newcropsnz@gmail.com

Clyde Holiday Park

Clyde

Both Nugget Gullys/Creeks I can think of are under permit.