Paydirt Home Locations Permit Map Equipment & Services Gold Price Old Forum Archive Donate Search

Mudwiggling through 2020

cool stuff,great score on the ring.

1 Like

Cheers guys. The ring is the flashest I’ve found, that hasn’t been a recovery job. No identifying marks though. It was deep in the sediments and way out which makes me think it may have gone overboard from a boat or tender.

A great selection and good reward for patience and the time put into looking. I am getting inspired by you guys so tempted to bring one of my detectors when I come up for the holidays as I might go out to the Coromandel.

1 Like

Great finds Mudwiggle definitely a fancy ring, I really would love to find one of those early regiment buttons. Well done mate.

In the evil salty ooze again yesterday…

Got home, emptied the pouch:

Found some interesting bits inside

6 Likes

all that stuff in my pockets would have pulled my pants down. then it wouldnt have been the detector swing from side to side. reminds me of elephant hunting in africa but that story can wait

Back in the mode mate
That dog reg is one of my favourite finds as for the trigger guard… As LL would say jellyarse😎

I spy with my little eye what may be your best treasure in the first photo with everything in a heap and if it is what I think it is I am indeed jellyarse. No prizes for the astute observer who identifies it. If I remember, remember, remember I shall identify it before too long if no one else picks it but it is a true gem - and yet appears to be nothing spectacular. Because I cant see it properly I may be wrong but I am pretty sure it is what I think it is none the less.

Hint - it has something to do with dustbins.

@Lammerlaw I’ll get one with a reed one day. (Been many years since I heard “Dustbin” :grin: )

The item is associated with the word ‘Dustbin’ and is a very interesting item of historical interest. In fact I would much rather have found it than a silver ring - I wont go so far as to say gold ring!

I’m confuzzled then… If it ain’t the harp? (Based on good ol London slang)

Under it…20 characters required! Look under the harp.

Okay, now you got me curious (he said as he tried to make the 20 characters…)

This?

Yes that is it - in my opinion the very best antique projectile you have ever found or likely to find. It is the projectile from a very early Adams revolver ‘Dustbin Cartridge’ - it dates to the American Civil War and the Maori Wars and was made for the Model 1851 Adams and 1854 Adams revolvers.

Some references for you which I found last night

A complete one at $200 US or about $300 NZ - note that this dealer has never had a complete one
http://www.bulletandshell.com/Items/item.php?id=B00418

Note the price being asked for this well weathered one $65 US or $100 NZ
.http://www.americancivilwarrelics.com/Y379.htm

The guns below are the specific revolvers that they were made for -

1851 Adams.

Beaumont Adams

Tranter

I have ever only seen one or maybe two in the collection of an old guy and other than his I have never seen another so that is how scarce it is. A great find, Treasure it as you are not likely to find another. Your very best projectile.

2 Likes

Wonder who’s digging through the sinker box right now😂

1 Like

Bugger… Bugger bugger bugger…

4 Likes

@Lammerlaw Heh, all good - I learnt a long time ago not to trash anything until it’s positively identified as purest junk. Safe and sound…

I could hear your wails from the other end of the country!

2 Likes

I love it - great items and now they need little labels especially the little projectile - otherwise someone might throw it in the dustbin!

Another great hunt looks a fab site treasures aplenty

As an aside, re: the pic of the Tranter… I noted this

What’s your opinion on these (I’ve dug several in areas with a lot of pistol evidence)

1 Like