Gold - Some interesting samples of gold and other minerals I own - found or given

HOLY crap! Might be safer to just bring the digging tools! Bugga the sandflies😏I went to run some fines through the box today at the river (sadly not a gold bearing one) anyway couldn’t get it working well enough as seen stuff skip into the back didn’t trust the back end so home we went knowing with what little stuff put through that was glowing it’s going to be quite enjoyable when done properly. Sigh!

Hmm you have inspired me - on Thursday I am going to head for the tall timber, which is sort of strange considering theres no timber there and with my detector and gear methinks I will find me some yellow stuff. I can smell the gold already Lacking gold I will hunt wild pigs and shoot tin cans and imbibe in some cough medicine, ironically enough probably with three of the earlier Paydirt members from the old site.

As for sluice boxes and things I think it depends on the flow, fall and how you set it up. I have never had one of those expensive tenderfoot yuppy ones and have always made home made ones and they have never failed me yet, regardless of the width and depth. In fact my best sluice box is made from two of the four containers of a huge mainstream computer.

1 Like

Good on ya!
Nope no yuppie here either mine have been made by my father clever bugger he is got last count 4 all differently made the funniest one is half a ripple pipe conected to a "found"road maker it works Blum in well in sparse water only thing is ya can’t see what’s in there until washup😎
Remind me to tell you about the captain cookers sometime…
Check the percentage of the cough medicine though no point going in half cocked!! Look after ya mares I mean mates and have a blast.

1 Like

Me thinks you are all nuts.then imust be nuts to, to read it.
Just keep iy comeing its bloody good.and Keith i dont know
whitch one you were eather.we will discuse over a JACK.
good one guys

I think I maybe the sheep shagger

1 Like

Far out shit a brick - actually I have a story about my Brother in law and a bloke the church asked him to take in as a boarder - this fellow had psychological problems so Brother in law took him in - in any case - hold on this story might not be suitable so I will tell you when I see you next BUT it has something to do with chickens - in any case my brother in law had custody of his two kids and I clearly remember him finding out about his boarders strange problems and kicking him out and as we sat eating cackleberries for lunch one day I remember my brother in law saying to the kids that they could eat the egg yolk but leave the egg white because it had something to do with the ex boarders dubious habits.

As for the film - I was the voice! Its the only film I have ever watched over and over!

Love your work. Drunken yobbos in the bush need a reality check sometimes.

I dislike their carefree shooting style - they think no other humans are about. Mostly they shoot each other, which is the ridiculousness of it all.

A new gold reef

A few years ago - maybe three - my son came back from a walk and told me that he had found a gold reef. Well thats a tall story I thought so had him on about it and never believed it…and thats when he took the quartz samples outo f his pocket - this is one piece - 1.5 gram to 2 gram of gold in it on a guesstimation…and there are many others

8 Likes

Beautiful sample mate.

1 Like

HI Lammerlaw where are the pics of your wee adventure?:blush:

Which wee adventure - I have just come back from a fortnight in Auckland and the far North - the fish heard I was coming and vacated the Kiwi coast, the Kauri gum was hard to find and next time I am taking my Model 1200 Semi auto Beretta 7 shot riot gun to kill sand flies at Spirits Bay - bastards! Then to cap it all off I was framed and maliciously assaulted by a mentally unhinged window which should have been secured!

3 Likes

Bugger heaps of ellie down here!

I did try to warn you - lucky you didn’t come away needing a blood transfusion.

Heading there again soon but this time going armed to the teeth - Zit gun, Black Flag, Nuclear Pest spray, flame thrower and so on. In the meantime off to my place this weekend to continue in my nugget spot.

2 Likes

Another interesting gold specimen.

This specimen was one of those sent to raise Capital for the OPQ Mine at Waipori. It is most certainly an impressive specimen stone and without any doubt the eyes of potential investors could only have seen untold profit and wealth and invested accordingly.

7 Likes

The golden Progress Mine at Oturehua can still be visited and the poppet head still stands and together with other mining equipment, boilers, cage and so on makes the p lace well worth a visit.

This sample was sent to England to raise capital for this mine an done can see h ow investors were certainly tempted to put money into these mines with a vision of fantastic wealth to come…but the usual result was generally the loss of their investment and a lesson learnt.

I had always been tempted to break these specimens open to see whats inside but they have survived for well over a hundred years like this and it seems a shame to monster them now. Truly historical items and museum quality.

8 Likes

You might get an ounce of gold from each. Just test one of them. And perhaps preserve that good looking first one.
I’ve have a rock with a quartz vein it has several 1mm flecks of scaly gold, but one is rusty, I’m pretty sure they’re pyrite.
The rock is not from anywhere that’s known for gold at all.
It would be difficult to get a photo. Would grinding it up and testing in salt water be the best test?

I am tempted but they are historic pieces and yes the gold goes through them but specimens are worth a lot more than the value of the gold so they are more valuable as they are - even if I am awfully curious!

Yip, tempting to hit them with a hammer but as you say they are nicer as specimens.