Gold panning: what could I be doing wrong?

Go up the Buller Gorge. At Hawkes Craig you will see a gravel beach which ends just by the parking area. Scramble down the bank and bush a bit further up. Walk up to the top of the beach where it comes out from the gorgy bit, Dig on the right hand side, where there is a small overflow. Behind the large rocks or tree debris. The gold is in the top layer, no need to dig to china. Its only flood gold but plenty of it.

Cheers Trev aka “The Hatter”

2 Likes

Take Trevs advice and go up the Buller. I ve not been there but been told there’s plenty of finer stuff there.

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

perhaps there is nothing wrong with your panning its just no gold. just about every creek on the coast has gold . ive been known to go for days with no colour. ill take you for a walk when thengs come better

2 Likes

Yeah I just tell myself there was no gold in that particular spot, that’s why I didn’t find it! :wink:

I would absolutely love to meet up for a walk once you are better. :+1:

alittle better than yesterday . its hard to be positive when sitting at the bottom of a barrel of snakes. one day at a time ,chemo seems to have gone smoothly so next week might have to start out carrying a pan . thanks all for the love

4 Likes

I guess one day at a time is the way to go. I hope it goes even smoother going forward… Getting out the pan will be something to aim for👍