Claim jumpers beware

Ok. So what happened to the poacher on your claim? Was he caught, prosecuted, hung drawn & quartered?
My believe in your example from NZPAM is for the more serious mining operation. ie: digger & screen operating with no permits or consents. Maybe too a more serious dredging operation with no permits & consents. Most likely have their gear confiscated as well Not your gold panner, sniper or detectorist or low key poacher.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

You may laugh but I am sure the law would pay much more attention to an assault charge than a claim jumper. What do you think?

Reminds me of a mate of mine who got in to an argument with a guy in a pub. My mate thought the matter was sorted, went to the loo for a piss & while he was having his piss with his back turned at the urinal this guy walks in & king hits my mate from behind. My mate gathers himself & ends up rearranging this guys face & teeth on the porcelain hand basin. The cowardly arsehole pressed charges & my mate ended up in prison. So who got the roar end of that deal? Not the “claim” jumper.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

I have heard of that a couple of times. Happened to a truck sruver friend of mine at Pareora. Stopped to check something on the iron horse and some liw life bottom feeding liw life stopped for no reason and began to abuse my cobber then got ohysical…so my cobber gave him a good hiding.
Bottom feeder went to the Police and my cobber got charged with assault.
Same with anyone who breaks into your house. Mete out justice and they become the victim!
Of course when criminals become politicians what else can you expect.
1851 1856

1 Like

Whatever happened to Jackie Adams the man tasked with busting illegal mining perps? Will he make a comeback as activity increases?

Probably out there panning as we type :rofl:

1 Like

I might just charge for every hour someone is caught taking gold off my claim illegally. One wheel off the vehicle for every hour you spent stealing off my claim. At just a guess I reckon you’ll be there four hours. So if you get back to your vehicle and it is up on blocks we’ll call it even. Its a long walk to the closest farmer who is a good friend of mine, just to have him laugh in your face and tell you to bugger off.
Fines through nzpam are up to $400,000.00 and yes this would be for a large scale illegal operation. So if you scale it down to someone using a small dredge or snipping I still reckon $20,000 to $30,000 is about right. If I have the evidence I’m more than happy to try and sue someone for this amount. Just to test the courts on this matter.
People should also keep in mined if they ever want to own a claim of there own after someone has submitted evidence of them taking Minerals illegally they will have a snow balls chance in hell of doing so.

2 Likes