Why? Why do I do this?

Yeah, the white rock eats coins. These were mostly tucked under the overhanging grass where the beach has been eroded, so mostly dry or freshish water I guess.

The silvers were coated in that thick grey layer, soaked in cloudy ammonia, then waved the Dremel at them.

First decent volume of spendies I’ve had for a while so, all good.

1 Like

KT_Pro - Did you really think I was taking the mickey - no show - I am serious at all times and when I tell you something then believe me it IS the Gospel truth except when I dont know and have to make it up in which case generally those to whom I give my valued and expert advice never double check and consequently go round believing, on my expert advice, that the common Queensland bridle they have is actually a Bondage and Discipline device for Numidian Maidens and was once used for nefarious purposes in the Court of King Massinissa 81 to 46 BC.

1 Like

On the foreshore before work:
Only excitement was $1, a junky ring and a 1934 sixpence.

Have to be getting closer to gold.

6 Likes

Threw a pic of this one on BookFace this evening as a possible ID for someone else’s “Wotsit”. Dug last month while visiting friends. Coopers Dip promotional magnifying lens (can’t open it without destroying unfortunately)
While the product has been around since the late 1800’s, I doubt they had laser engraving then :laughing: Into the “modern stuff” drawer with this one.

1 Like

Hit the beach while the tourists were still cooking their bacon and eggs.
Followed the tide down for the usual pile of ali and copper.

Redeemed with two rings (junk and small silver), two pennies (44 & 51), two non silver shillings and a non-silver half crown.
$10 in spendies was alright though.

Almost forgotten what gold looks like :confused:

6 Likes

5 Likes

Reply to post above that has lots of lead sinkers and subheading
"Have to be getting closer to Gold"
Hey at $3 per kilogram and a density of 11.3 grams per cubic centimeter lead is close to gold, (well in density) and doing its best to contribute to funds here…

2 Likes

Got $110 last year from a few nail boxes of lead sinkers at the local scrappy (I wasn’t bothered about shopping around or haggling) Would much rather have the Elusive Yellow though :slight_smile:

Old silver is always nice.

1 Like

This, If only NZ had the history for this… National Metal Detecting League

Was cleaning out and sorting the collection when I dropped this! The jolt freed the lens inside and it was poking out slightly - with a surprise!

Teased it out and lo and behold, a 1947 penny had been tucked in there, I assume so they didn’t lose it!!!
The lettering must be stamped then.

Goes to show, well, something.

This is a dramatic re-enactment:

6 Likes